Need help 'building or adapting' a tail stock for 12" Logan

According to the Logan FAQ “Generally speaking, the beds are interchangeable for 10" and 11" and 12” Logan Lathes.” The 10” tailstock is composed of two major casting, the tailstock base (12) and tailsock top (17). So now how to add a spacer between the base and top to get it to align with the headstock center?
tailstock.png

What I need now is a way to turn between centers. I have been looking for a 12" tail stock with no success. I am wondering if I can 'adapt' a 10" tailstock to work. if so, can anyone tell me what I need to do to make it happen.

I have an 11" Logan turret lathe and this is what I did... I purchased a tailstock complete for a 10" Logan on Ebay fairly reasonably. On the 11" units, the only difference is the Base [item #12], which is taller. So I purchased a new 11" base from Logan. It came in with about 0.040" too high. I was able to remove that material from the top surface and then install the upper parts of the 10" tailstock. I took some doing, but it all worked out very nicely.

Last edited:
It's within the realm to build a tail stock using a weldment. It would be an interesting project. The only difficulty would be alignment
as it would have to be straight with the bore of the lathe and of the right height of course. I would use steel and on the
underside apply some cast iron "shoes" bolted on to the weldment.

I think you could place the tailstock on the ways, use the taper in the headstock to drill and ream the tailstock, and insert a quill?

AM, quills generally spin. I've nearly always heard ram used in referring to the movable part of a tailstock.

I think that I would favor buying a tailstock for probably about a 10" and only have to jack with making a shoe/spacer block. You know that it will work and it will look better.

Back