Need help deciding between PM-1440GT and PM-1340GT

I don't think you would be disappointed with either one.

I went with the PM-1440GT because I wanted the larger spindle bore, larger swing, D1-5 spindle nose, enclosed gearbox, foot brake, pull out chip pan and coolant system. Mine is one of the first made and at that time it was priced $1,000 less than it is now so it was a little easier to justify the cost difference.

Don't be put off by the D1-5 spindle. There are plenty of chucks to choose from that can be had with that configuration. It is a significant step up from the D1-4 which I had on my previous lathe.

Now having used a lathe with a 2" spindle bore I would not want to go without.

The only quirk to the PM-1440GT is the spindle taper is not a standard taper. PM calls is a MT5-1/2 which isn't standard. They do provide an adapter to use a center. The only thing it really affects is if you want to get a collet closer. I believe PM has them or you can have one made to order from JFK Precision.

I just saw this post, Mr. Winegrower’s Monarch lathe in the Nevada City Museum is a great Machine. I recently toured the museum. The guys back in the shop were gracious enough to show me around. The Bridgeport is an old friend.
I asked, “when I retire, how do I volunteer here?”. I was told to, just come around, we will put you to work.
Their shop made forge is on my to do list.

The only quirk to the PM-1440GT is the spindle taper is not a standard taper. PM calls is a MT5-1/2 which isn't standard. They do provide an adapter to use a center. The only thing it really affects is if you want to get a collet closer.

I don't quite get what you mean. Doesn't a particular camlock designation like D1-4 or D1-5 define the spindle nose taper dimensions on that basis alone?
http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/Lathe_Spindle_Mount.html

He's talking about the taper not the mounting system.

The spindle nose taper is an integral part of the mounting system. They go hand in hand don't they?

SNAG-10-14-2018 0004.jpg

There is the nose taper which is specific to the mounting system, but that protrudes out. There is also an internal spindle taper for mounting collet systems, mounting test bars, dead centers, etc. Typically on this size machine it is a MT5, but this is usually with a 1 5/8" bore, I assume the large MT 5 1/2 is to accommodate the large spindle bore.

Ah - by 'the taper' we are taking the INTERNAL spindle taper. Gotcha.

SNAG-10-14-2018 0006.jpg

If you look at the specs for a D1-5 nose and a MT6 taper the spindle nose boss would get a bit thin. It's interesting that PM's Chinese 1440 lathes with 2" spindle bore and D1-5 nose have MT6 spindle tapers. Could be that the Taiwan manufacturers spindle cam lock system wouldn't work with a larger MT6 taper or they felt is sacrificed too much rigidity in the spindle?

Okay, thanks to you folks encouragement I'll go with the 1440GT.

Does PM ever have Columbus Day sales, Black Friday sales or something similar? Or is the list price what I'll have to pay?

Okay, thanks to you folks encouragement I'll go with the 1440GT.

Does PM ever have Columbus Day sales, Black Friday sales or something similar? Or is the list price what I'll have to pay?

I believe on the premium machines he keeps the cost as low as he can. Sometimes he "may" offer a discount on accessories at the time of sale. Never hurts to ask but I'm guessing the current tariffs are not helping.

Back