Need help deciding between PM-1440GT and PM-1340GT

Does PM ever have Columbus Day sales, Black Friday sales or something similar? Or is the list price what I'll have to pay?

zjtr10:

As Jay says, it never hurts to ask.

But what I do know is that Matt gave me a discount for paying cash for my 1440GT (wire transfer of funds) rather than using a credit card, for which he is charged a fee.

Bill

I believe on the premium machines he keeps the cost as low as he can. Sometimes he "may" offer a discount on accessories at the time of sale. Never hurts to ask but I'm guessing the current tariffs are not helping.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are no tariffs on Taiwan made machines.

Currently no tariffs on Taiwanese machines, which makes them closer in price to the some of the Chinese offerings in the same class. Matt/QMT offers a lot of products (like Bison/TMX, Aloris, Vertex, Align power feeds, etc.) not listed on their website so it pays to ask. You also save on shipping if items are shipped with the machine.

Nice choice on the 1440GT.

Also the sweet lathes made by Sun Master.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are no tariffs on Taiwan made machines.

I meant in a general sense since he does sell a lot of Chinese made machines, the tariffs would have an overall affect on the businesses bottom line which would make it tougher to offer discounts.

Also the sweet lathes made by Sun Master.
I have one on order through QMT (Matt), SunMaster takes lathes to a whole new level. My friend has the SunMaster RML-1640, and it is a a beast. Had an opportunity to sell my 1340GT, so I have the ERL-1340 on order. Should be very rigid, the RML series is even more stout. I was looking for a bit more rigidity coming from the 1340GT, but it was a great lathe at the price point. If you can afford to go bigger and/or heavier, worth the additional expense.

Working out the control/VFD system, I recently picked up a 3Hp Vector motor to replace the stock one. I typically reduce the pulley size and run the motors to 120Hz, which improves the motor performance dynamics. This also applies to the 1340/1440GT machines, although the stock 3 phase motor are quite good. Also, one is very limited motor size wise that will fit if you choose to upgrade. I typically use the Hitachi WJ200 VFDs on 1340/1440GT's, but I may end up using a Yaskawa VFD because it is not as deep and should fit in the stock ERL lathe cabinet.

Where/How do you look at/order a Sun Master?
Matt is a distributor?

Hmmm... RML 1440V. I don't need that much lathe, but I wouldn't kick it out of the shop because of that. :D

Back