Need Help Deciding Which Equipment To Buy.

I just joined the forum... and I have the same dilemma... what mill machine to get. Not easy to decide based on the amount of information and the suggestions from many of the experienced folks.

Add to that the fact that some are available for immediate delivery, others you have to wait weeks (if not months) for them... so you must have patience depending on which one you pick... fun, is it not? :)

It's like we tell newbies that want to build an airplane. Define your mission as closely as possible before you even start looking at stuff. Once you have a definition of the basics, then add the must have's and the would be nice to have's. Once you have this, then you can start to look around for equipment to fit your needs. If you are only going to machine soft materials for parts that fit into your hand, then there is no real reason to be looking at a K&T #2 when a Clausing 8520 or Deckle FP-1 will more than cover your needs. On the other hand if you are going to be working on stuff half the size of a refrigerator, then the K&T #2 is going to be way too small and you need to thinking and planing for something like a VMC-150.

In my case, I can make almost everything on BP #1 and have room to spare, but I do have some upcoming parts that would be a challenge on a VMC-150,which is probably too small, even with a 36x61" table.

So to wrap it up, define what you want to build for most of the time, then add some growth room, and determine the materials you will use the majority of the time and the necessary speed and feeds requirements. Also determine available power and space in your shop. Armed with all that information, you can start looking at various sized mills and from there, bide your time and keep watching for one that will do the job and be within your budget. Also, don't forget to budget for a vice, and clamping hardware and a selection of tools.

Have you considered searching used machine-shop equipment firms. There used to be a firm in Louisville, Ky, years ago who carried quality used equipment when I worked there.

Good luck in your search,

Keith,
I would look at a package deal and see what can be had for the $$ you are spending. Basically ask a dealer if you get a lathe and mill, will they give you a discount on the prices and can they discount the DRO, phase converter, tooling, etc… Many times a dealer will work the prices if you buy two machines and a few options. I would also look at the quality, grizzly seems to have a good reputation and their support is solid.

Keith,
I would look at a package deal and see what can be had for the $$ you are spending. Basically ask a dealer if you get a lathe and mill, will they give you a discount on the prices and can they discount the DRO, phase converter, tooling, etc… Many times a dealer will work the prices if you buy two machines and a few options. I would also look at the quality, grizzly seems to have a good reputation and their support is solid.

I have been hearing a lot of not so good things about Grizzly's customer service lately. It was about band saws but it makes me wonder if they are who they used to be. Ed

Back