Need help finding Manual/Information on Christen UNIC 750

Gladius

Registered
Registered
So as the title states I am searching for all the information and preferably documents on a Christen UNIC 750 lathe I can get. I just started my own little hobby machine shop and got this lathe secondhand. Sadly there was no documentation with it and I could not find anything online either so if anyone could point me in the right direction or has a manual I would be very grateful. Please note my lathe is a Christen UNIC 750 and NOT a DAN 750. although very similar in design they are not the same machine. I did find the manuals for the DAN 750 and am working to restore my lathe with these manuals but I would much prefer to have the original Handbook/information.
Thank you very much for helping.

Attachments

• Gearbox.jpeg
    Gearbox.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 16
  • Model Number.jpeg
    Model Number.jpeg
    407.5 KB · Views: 20
  • UNIC 750.jpeg
    UNIC 750.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 21
Hello and welcome.

Sorry I can't help with documentation but that is a beautiful machine. I'm sure it will serve you well, perhaps if you ask questions about whatever you're working on someone here can help with general information.

Cheers,

John

Looks like a wonderful lathe . According to Mike Macs link, lathes.co.uk they were very well made. Nice find. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers
Martin

I don't know if this link is any help to you:

Hello Mike
I have already found and read this page and got some useful information from it but sadly they do not provide many details.
I have also already written an e-mail to the author of the site. Maybe he will know more.
Thank you anyways

Hello and welcome.

Sorry I can't help with documentation but that is a beautiful machine. I'm sure it will serve you well, perhaps if you ask questions about whatever you're working on someone here can help with general information.

Cheers,

John
Well right now I am mainly doing some maintenance and getting to know my machine. Before I got it it was sitting around in a garage for quite some time so there are some rusty spots that need polishing and everything needs some fresh oil. Nothing major as far as I can tell but I would like to know things like:
What is the right oil to use for the gearbox
What bearings need what kind of maintenance and how can it be done, what sorta oil etc
What mechanical things are there to know, Mechanical safety such as shear pins, does my lathe have some sort of clutch or other stopping mechanisms when hitting the end-stop? How can I find out? The DAN 750 had one and my UNIC 750 seems to have a nearly identical carriage but I don't want to just run it into the end-stop and risk breaking something.

Thanks in advance

Well right now I am mainly doing some maintenance and getting to know my machine. Before I got it it was sitting around in a garage for quite some time so there are some rusty spots that need polishing and everything needs some fresh oil. Nothing major as far as I can tell but I would like to know things like:
What is the right oil to use for the gearbox
What bearings need what kind of maintenance and how can it be done, what sorta oil etc
What mechanical things are there to know, Mechanical safety such as shear pins, does my lathe have some sort of clutch or other stopping mechanisms when hitting the end-stop? How can I find out? The DAN 750 had one and my UNIC 750 seems to have a nearly identical carriage but I don't want to just run it into the end-stop and risk breaking something.

Thanks in advance

You are wise to proceed with caution, since I don't have a similar machine I can't give specifics but things like gearbox oil and lubrication points should be close or the same as the documentation you have. Go over that information and compare with your lathe, there should be mostly the same controls since lathe functions are fairly universal. When you get it powered up run things in manual until you are confident with the auto-feed mechanisms. Take it slow and I'm sure you'll be fine. Keep asking questions here, this is a great group and we love pictures....

Cheers,

John

I also have a unic 750 lathe. Do you know how to remove the chunk from the main shaft ? I have already tried to unscrew but it will not move

thank you in advance,
Siem

here the photo of the lathe

Attachments

• E530CB1F-4BB6-42E4-81B8-8CB2689D4FB0.jpeg
    E530CB1F-4BB6-42E4-81B8-8CB2689D4FB0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
I also have a unic 750 lathe. Do you know how to remove the chunk from the main shaft ? I have already tried to unscrew but it will not move

thank you in advance,
Siem
The Chuck just unscrews, its a M60 by 5.5mm thread. There is a locking mechanism (small lever just to the left of the chuck). With that, you can lock the chuck and then unscrew it. If you have trouble turning the chuck you can disengage the gears by putting the front gear select lever (smaller one of the two that select gear positions 4-7) in its middle position. If the chuck is stuck you can either put the key in and hit that (carefully) with a soft faced hammer, clamp some long bar in the chuck so it can be used as a lever or use a belt wrench (google will help you if you don't know that tool). Your lathe looks pretty rusty to me so some deblock oil would porobably help as well.

Back