Need help finding replacement BP vise jaws

Kiss4aFrog

Registered
Registered
I'm hoping this is something easy someone else has gone through. I received an old 6" BP bench vise that was missing a jaw.
I ordered an Irwin 6" jaw set off amazon and found that the mounting hole spacing wasn't correct. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.
The mounting holes on the BP are 4 1/4 OC. The jaw is about 7/8" tall and about 3/8 thick.
I searched the web with no luck in finding anything that appears to be close to mine. Any ideas of where I might find a set ?

Mine is like the one in the photo.

Attachments

• BP bench vise.jpg
    BP bench vise.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 18
Make a set . If you have access to a mill ,should be a nice project. If not, there is probably someone here who could make you a set.

You can make replacement jaws from hot rolled or cold rolled steel and they will work well, but will not be as durable as hardened jaws. For most work, I prefer jaws without serrations.

You can make replacement jaws from hot rolled or cold rolled steel and they will work well, but will not be as durable as hardened jaws. For most work, I prefer jaws without serrations.

Over the years I've made replacement jaws for several vises. The first few I went to the trouble of cutting in the serrations. The last few sets were plain in that I was constantly changing out the serrated ones for smooth or specialty ones so I didn't mar the surface on parts. The jaws on the milling machines vises are hardened, but they're the only ones. All the others are hot rolled, cold rolled, or aluminum. The ones on the most used bench vise are aluminum. I have several sets with various size V's or radiuses cut into them to hold round or odd shaped stock.

To me vise jaws fall in the consumable category. They do last longer than cutting tools, but will eventually have to be ground down or replaced due to wear and tear.

Back