Need help finding the history of this old reamer sharpener

Didyouseesteve

Registered
Registered
My grandfather was a hobby machinist and collector of pretty much any new and old tool or machine he could find. I have gotten into the hobby over the last two years, too late unfortunately as he passed away in 2014, so I missed out on alot of really good knowledge and training. Upon going through some things, I found this old DeLuxe universal reamer sharpener. It seems old, and internet searches have not brought up any information about it at all. I enjoy the history of these tools about as much as using them, so I wonder if anyone is familiar with this machine? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20191217_214810557.jpg
    IMG_20191217_214810557.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20191217_214821089.jpg
    IMG_20191217_214821089.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20191217_214724814.jpg
    IMG_20191217_214724814.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20191217_214735314.jpg
    IMG_20191217_214735314.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20191217_214748476.jpg
    IMG_20191217_214748476.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 71
Hmm, I get nothing on the reamer sharpener yet but I do get multiple targets on oil filters and an associated patent by the De Luxe Products Corp ranging from mid-1930’s to mid-1950’s. Looks like that was their mainstay and I’m thinking the reamer sharpener may never have been approved for patent. It does say “... applied for..” on the casting, so maybe never went far with it. At least that gives you a rough time frame though.

-frank

Well that is pretty neat.
Cheers
Martin

Hmm, I get nothing on the reamer sharpener yet but I do get multiple targets on oil filters and an associated patent by the De Luxe Products Corp ranging from mid-1930’s to mid-1950’s. Looks like that was their mainstay and I’m thinking the reamer sharpener may never have been approved for patent. It does say “... applied for..” on the casting, so maybe never went far with it. At least that gives you a rough time frame though.

-frank

I hadn't thought of it never actually being patented, you might be right on that. Like you said, all my searches came back with oil filters. Thanks for the info!

Facinating. Every time I go into a good antique store I run into things like that. In that they are some kind of interesting mechanism obviously purpose made that I have no clue how they were used and often how or what they were used for. It's doubly sad your grandfather knew what it was and probably how to use it. Whenever I loose friends or family I'm reminded of that old adage "you never miss the water till the well runs dry".

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's a little surprising these when you find something that has no information out there on the internet but not too uncommon when talking old tools. My little Hilco is somewhat similar to yours and also there's almost nothing searchable online except what I have posted.

There are two good sources I've found (besides this forum of course):

and

If you don't find your tool on either of those then submit it so others can search it in the future.

Good luck,

John

OWWM.org forum maybe able to help with you this as they are a very inquisitive and knowledgeable group. Their wood working and metal working forums are dedicated to amateurs and professionals who enjoy using and/or restoring vintage non-Asian machinery. Although a question such as yours would need to be posted in the SWARF (stuff without arn related facts) sub-forum which is only available to members (membership is free).

It is frustrating enough to not find info but crazy making to only find pieces. Thanks for posting a link to your thread on your Hilco John. Very cool and like Doc said, you SUCK. What a great find. Even better you were able to find the drawings to make the missing attachment. In looking at your thread and the pieces it made me flash on this guy in LA in Bell Gardens that's always got stuff on CL. He had this cast piece he called a jig that was a long slotted piece of cast iron that had posts on it but nothing else. Makes me wonder if it wasn't originally some kind of similar tool like the Hilco with all the pieces gone.

It's sad to me there have been so many great ideas lost to time and fate. When I was wrench twisting in a service station a friend of the boss got his station converted to a convenience store so he gave my boss his portable alignment rack made by Bishman. Luckily it was all there and had instructions how to set it up. It was insanely accurate and simple once you got the principle. When the Benz and GM garage had a "problem car" they'd send it to me. Not long after I left the station lost their shop due to not having a mech with enough tickets and went convinenence. I always wondered what happened to that little porta rack. I could never find another one like it or any patents that were of that unit I used. It was very ingenious.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's a little surprising these when you find something that has no information out there on the internet but not too uncommon when talking old tools. My little Hilco is somewhat similar to yours and also there's almost nothing searchable online except what I have posted.

There are two good sources I've found (besides this forum of course):

and

If you don't find your tool on either of those then submit it so others can search it in the future.

Good luck,

John

I'll check those sites, thanks for the links!

Hey! I found out I have one of these also. Came from the large machine shop that I liquidated for a friend.

DIDYOUSEESTEVE Have you found any more info and have you attempted to use it? Seems straight forward enough but wouldn't hurt to have a YT vid or written instructions

Mine has a few more pieces than the one pictured in post #1. The "chuck" on the one end is spring loaded to keep the flute snug against the stop finger.

I'm almost at the point in the Tool & Cutter grinder build to start experimenting.

Thanks
Aaron

Back