Need help- Given some CNC stuff and I have NO clue

You have been busy :)

QUESTION: Can anyone tell me anything about the discrepency between the Tamagawa paperwork and the motor label? (The whole DC/AC fiasco

This is the confusing part, a Brushless DC Motor (BLDC) is a 3 phase AC motor. There are some small differences between a standard 3 phase motor and a BLDC motor, but it is possible to test a BLDC motor on 3 phase AC. The BLDC motor has a permanent magnet rotor rather than a normal squirrel cage amarture found in the the standard 3 phase motor but the windings are similar. The BLDC motor is normally operated with a BLDC or servo drive which converts DC to a 3 phase output to drive the motor. In the case of most servo drives, the AC input is rectified to DC and then output as the 3 phase to run the motor.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion. o_O

One question folks- and if you are reading at this point good on ya

Good to see that even with all you have going on, you still had time to blow a few LEDs :grin:

Slow and steady! I can't help much with motors and servos, but if you have questions about electronics (like how to avoid blowing LEDs) I have a little more experience.

Good to see that even with all you have going on, you still had time to blow a few LEDs :grin:.

Thanks Boswell- I will be hitting the books and getting a few projects on deck regarding LEDs and the resistor values next- This seems like a long road (as I was told it would be)... but already its pretty cool knowing I am dealing with the basics.

Now just WHAT the dickens do LEDs have to do with stepper motors? HA! Well... baby steps.

That is all for now- new update Sunday (at least Im trying to get one a week so the thread doesnt languish)

This is the confusing part, a Brushless DC Motor (BLDC) is a 3 phase AC motor. There are some small differences between a standard 3 phase motor and a BLDC motor, but it is possible to test a BLDC motor on 3 phase AC.

OK thanks Jim- I am going to file that one and chew on it later... So using my "itty-bitty-bit-O-logic" I have- I could use a VFD off my 220 and slowly ramp up voltage to the servo and test it?

Or am I tempting fate at this point to try that?

Maybe that would work. I've never tried it, but it might be worth a shot. I would set the current limit on the VFD to its lowest possible value.

Back