Need help- Given some CNC stuff and I have NO clue

It still looks like the Vexta steppers might be the most useful, given that any data seems to be unavailable for the Elcom motors. Most steppers are 1.8° motors, the microstepping is done in the stepper drive, the motor just does what it's told. The problem is that you did not get any stepper drives in your box of goodies, but the good news is that they can be bought inexpensively on Ebay.

Given their size and current, I'm going to guess around 280 oz/in. These should be able to run a large table top machine at reasonable resolutions and speeds. Now are you going to push a 1/2'' bit through aluminum with them?..... No, but for the work that you describe above they would work fine.

It still looks like the Vexta steppers might be the most useful, given that any data seems to be unavailable for the Elcom motors. Most steppers are 1.8° motors, the microstepping is done in the stepper drive, the motor just does what it's told. The problem is that you did not get any stepper drives in your box of goodies, but the good news is that they can be bought inexpensively on Ebay..

Good to know- And as for the Elcom motors- Im going to be following up with the distributor Monday about the catalog. For the drivers- with these steppers being... (ahem) "vintage".... would that be an issue? I am assuming not as there are no software components to the "Working" bits- just the pulses that push/turn the shaft... but there again I am assuming.

Given their size and current, I'm going to guess around 280 oz/in. These should be able to run a large table top machine at reasonable resolutions and speeds. Now are you going to push a 1/2'' bit through aluminum with them?..... No, but for the work that you describe above they would work fine.

Here is a pic of a buckle like I am looking to do in wax- Not this exact buckle- but along these lines:
Buckle image.jpg

Hope this helps- Funny enough sidenote: Cleaned out part of my shed yesterday and found 20 pounds of Everdur Bronze casting grain... I brought it in the shop and put it under the caster and the box where the motors are sitting... the project pile grows... I think the first casting will be a buckle or a few bronze tokens!

but there again I am assuming.

You're assuming right.

If you want to check everything you'll need to do some bench testing:

1. Stepper motor
2. Stepper drive
3. Power supply
4. Step/direction generator.

Buy a stepper drive on ebay or where-ever. You want a bi-polar and the max amps should be higher than the Vextra motors. I don't recommend buying anything 'nice' or brand name just for some simple bench testing. You're only buying one drive for now - you can buy a nice set of 3 or a Gecko 540 later.

Once you have a stepper drive picked out, you need a power supply for the drive/motor combo. I think, for now, a 48VDC with enough amps to exceed the drive rating would be fine
Unless someone else has a better idea, I think the below PS will work fine. The price difference between a 'throw-away' power supply and something that can drive all three (or 4) stepper drives is negligible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/480W-48V10...256023?hash=item5b44adaa97:g:BVwAAOSwcedananZ

Or this one, which for a few bucks more can (eventually) drive the steppers faster (not more grunt, but higher top speed).

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/switching-power-supply/72v8a/

Finally, you need a step-direction generator. You could use an arduino or other single-board computer, or buy an ethernet/USB motion controller since your home/laptop computer probably doesn't have a parallel port. However, other folks with more experience may be able to provide a cheaper apparatus for simple bench testing.

You may also need a 5/12/24vdc power supply to provide power to a breakout board or other item - but this depends on what you're using to generate step/direction signals.

Oh, and some wire. Wire helps connect everything.

Once you have all the bits & stuff, we'll help you cobble it up and see if the motors move.

Finally, you need a step-direction generator. You could use an arduino or other single-board computer, or buy an ethernet/USB motion controller since your home/laptop computer probably doesn't have a parallel port. However, other folks with more experience may be able to provide a cheaper apparatus for simple bench testing.

Or just use the Galil board to generate the steps. That's one of its primary functions ;)

That's cheating. How is he going to feel productive without actually buying something? :)

Bought the breadboard today- think I went overkill- oh well... got one with a LOT of holes- and I've watched a few youtube videos on setting one up- clear as mud... Guys Im telling you I am literally "learning as I go" here. I already have a thousand projects after visiting the electronic supply store... a NEW toy store... WOW! Now I have to learn this stuff! HA!

Power supply is on the way as well- I have a DC power supply as well from an etching setup that I think may work- I will be diggin it out this week!

As for buying stuff... evidently you've never met my wife... She's a great gal and supports my hobbies as long as they arent ripping into the house fund, bills or budget so I can definitely say I wont be spending the $$$ on a turnkey CNC if I can build this cheaper! (And- fun fact- she's in accounting- so YES- this project has a spreadsheet already...)

Now on to PRODUCTIVE postings from the ignorant one (me)... I discovered GlobalSpec has DATASHEETS for a myriad of motors- and I am trying to find my older motors on there so stay tuned!

Just for reference- here is the link to the Motion DC motor database on GlobalSpec: https://datasheets.globalspec.com/ds/54

I hope the rest of the week meets everyone with good longer days and you guys are gearing up for garden season!

Welcome to the wonderful world of electronics :)

UPDATE... Breaking News! This is NOT a dead thread!

HA! OK folks- the switching power supply has been ordered- apologies for taking a week+ to get my update out... I purchased the "72V/8A Switching CNC Power Supply (110VAC/220VAC )" as It was recommended...

In other news- I am still looking for my DC power supply after cleaning out the storage unit and organizing the garage I cant seem to find anything!

As well I am looking to the next few weeks being fun indeed- I have cleared a space on the bench for this project to live and grow- and working a few extra shifts at work to buy some goodies as I go as well.

The wife is pleased and understands Im NOT buying a Bugatti right now... WHEW- that was a whirlwind conversation! Her perception of what I had and my ability to explain its a learning process Im undertaking was NOT on the same frequency... She is actually interested in learning a bit along the way so this may wind up being our new Movie Night (I know we are wierd... but hey- its works for us!)

So please be patient- I am still working on the bricks to build this!

Todays posting will be on the motor data sheets for the Minebea and the Vexta As these are the target steppers. I have located sheets for what I believe is the right year and model and now need to know what the data means...

FIRST UP THE MINEBEA!

MinbeaSpec.JPGMinbeaSpec2.JPG

OK so these 2 images were ripped from a catalog I found and all the specs and dimensions and wiring colors match. The only thing I am NOT finding is the variant notations on the stepper- the Number on the stepper is "23LM-C355-P6V"

That "-P6V" on the end of the number... any clues as to the reason/need for it?!?

What are the numbers I need to start focusing on is the FIRST order of business- Need to jump in the pool but dont know where to start

So I am understanding you normally run a stepper at 10-20x the "rated voltage"... So does the Amperage compound as well or are these threshold values for movement/motion/work?

Thanks for the input and now, on with the show!

Back