Need help identifying Bridgeport

Definitely an M head. If you were able to stall out the motor, my guess would be closer to a bad motor than phase converter. I run a 1/2 HP motor on my M head on a phase converter and cant stall it out.

That looks like one of the hi speed M heads, I wonder if it the original high speed motor.

I have basically this exact mill at the shop next to an EZ Path and TC30.

Jon

This might sound like a stupid question so bare with me. To measure the table (like 9x30, 9x42, etc) do you just measure the length and width?

I owned an M-head for many years. I had replaced the stock motor with a single phase motor on a custom bracket. The drive spline was worn on mine so it clattered (made a lot of noise) on certain cuts. Mine was pretty worn and didn't like to use carbide cutters. It was a very useful machine with 4,000 rpm spindle speed. I kinda wish I still had it. I'd try to fix the spline drive. I think I have a couple collets for the M- Bridgeport laying around. You would be welcome to them if they would be helpful to you.

I owned an M-head for many years. I had replaced the stock motor with a single phase motor on a custom bracket. The drive spline was worn on mine so it clattered (made a lot of noise) on certain cuts. Mine was pretty worn and didn't like to use carbide cutters. It was a very useful machine with 4,000 rpm spindle speed. I kinda wish I still had it. I'd try to fix the spline drive. I think I have a couple collets for the M- Bridgeport laying around. You would be welcome to them if they would be helpful to you.
Thanks for the offer. Before I say yes I need to get the machine home and see what all tools I have. I noticed there was also a whole collection of 5c collets but I don't know if they go with the Leblond lathe or the smaller Logan 200.

Here's a picture of the lathe. It's a 17x54. Has the taper attachment, steady rest, 3 and 4 jaw chuck and dog plate.

I'm jealous! That exactly the lathe I've been looking for! I'd love to own that, because that's the vintage of LeBlonds I ran when I first starting learning how to machine.

Ted

I might have ran the direction switch in reverse on the mill. In my defense, the shop didn't have the best lighting. When I turned the machine on, I turned the switch clockwise. I watched a video earlier today and noticed the operator turned the switch counterclockwise.

Typical of Bridgeports and clones, the mill head has a "back gear" setup. This provides a second set of (slower) speeds. Unfortunately, back gear reverses the spindle direction. So when in back gear, you'd turn the directional switch "the other way."

I got 95% of everything today. I have everything moved into the shop but I need to make space before I set everything up. The dog plates ended up not going with the lathe. It turns out the faceplate was for a much bigger lathe. The good news is that it did come with a full assortment of 5C collets. I need to get the machines cleaned up before I post any more pictures.

Here's the spindle end for the Bridgeport. My MT2 chuck for my Clausing lathe doesn't fit it. Which type of bit would this one take?

Attachments

• 20210124_002705.jpg
    20210124_002705.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
I also have a phase converter to install. It mentions wires A, B, and C. The ground wire is easy to figure out, but I have 3 wires coming from the motor. They're white, black and green. Does anyone know which wires are which?

Back