Need help identifying HSS insert lathe tooling

9t8z28

Registered
Registered
Today at a local farmers market my tool guy brought in a box of used lathe tooling. I picked up 3 lathe tool holders that take HSS inserts for $10. After searching on the Internet trying to figure out who manufactures them and where to get replacement HSS inserts I decided to post here to see if you guys can tell me Who manufactures them and Where to get the HSS inserts. These rectangular HSS inserts appear to be unique to the tool holder since I can’t find any in their size.

2 of the tool holders which appear to be trepanning or grooving tools do not appear to take your standard rectangular HSS tool bit blanks. The top and bottom of the seat are tapered. The straight 1/2” tool holder currently has a rectangular HSS insert with no taper on the top or bottom but the other 3/8” right hand tool holder has a rectangular HSS bit that matches the taper ground on the top and bottom. It appears as though the correct HSS bit would have a taper on both sides but I dont think its absolutely mandatory. Correct me if I’m wrong. There are no numbers or anything on the holders or the inserts. The size of the insert on both appears to be 1/4” tall by 1/8” wide. Both of these holders appear to be made by the same manufacturer as they are designed and finished identical to each other.

The 3/4” shank parting tool has a HSS bit that appears to be 1/8” wide by 9/32” tall and about 1.65” long (I’m sure it has been ground a few times). The manufacturer name on the parting tool holder is Sumitomo. The sticker is a little worn off but it also says (Sec Cut Off Tool). A part# CF3-3 is stamped into the side of it. The HSS insert has a part# CFB-3. I did find Sumitomo parting tool holders online but they all take Carbide inserts.

Here are a few pictures of the tool holders
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
I think I fould out what the Sumitomo parting blade is made from. I thought it was HSS but it is kind of heavy for its size. I discovered that it has (CFB-3) etched into the side of the blade. After a Google search it appears that (CFB) stands for Carbide Free Bainite. I’m not sure what the (-3) stands for though. I don’t see anybody else using this material. Maybe it was some exotic idea that Sumitomo had at one time. As I said above, I cannot find this particular parting tool or blade anywhere online so it must be long discontinued. I also forgot to mention that the blade and tool holder has 3 matching angles cut on the bottom seat to hold the blade from being pushed out from side load.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Did you try looking on the internet with manufacturers name and the tooling number? I've seen them in use but never had any . I have a large box of new inserts to sell over 50 packs I can look and see. I won't gouge you on price either.

I did look using the part numbers and found nothing, I would appreciate you looking into it and letting me know. Thanks
Did you try looking on the internet with manufacturers name and the tooling number? I've seen them in use but never had any . I have a large box of new inserts to sell over 50 packs I can look and see. I won't gouge you on price either.

Any luck finding these inserts?

Back