Need help Identifying this riding mower

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
Benny gave me this old riding mower, the only markings on it telling me what it is is the "P" Penney's or Penncraft. The ID plate only has the serial no. and Model no. 1409A. It has a 5hp Briggs & Stratton. It's in real good shape and very complete. I cannot find this exact mower on the net anywhere, I have found some close versions but not the same, some with rear engine but the steering was more of a handle, some with a steering wheel but front or mid engine.

DSC02101.JPG DSC02100.JPG DSC02064.JPG DSC02063.JPG DSC02062.JPG DSC02061.JPG DSC02060.JPG

That looks like an Ariens my dad had back in the 70s. I ran it all the time when I was a kid.

Not sure what the "P" was for but I suspect it was really made by either MTD or Murray (I'm leaning Murray).

I know that's not really any brilliant revelation since the two companies made most of the store brand machines in the 70's & 80's.

That "P" looks like the old "Penny's" logo. I have an old broken down Toro sitting in the shed that looks a lot like it.

-Ron

This is a quote from a vintage mower site "I know of two companies that built the very small mowers for JC Penney's Penncraft line of riders.

E.T. Rugg & Huffy" But still have not found one like it.

I guess I should have worded my post a bit different as I know/knew it was a Penny's/Penncraft. Just wanted some more info on it and to be able to date it.

Here's a MUCH earlier model ....

Attachments

• Riding mower.jpg
    Riding mower.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 27
Charley
look in smokstak forum for article on dune buggy body riding mower. they were made in three colors gold, red or green and are collector category. it is an interesting forum and may help you identify your penny's model. hope this helps.
Dave *note yours looks like the general appliance blue mini model.

Last edited:
Back