Need Help IDing This Fixture

Ironside

Registered
Registered
I bought a bunch of machine shop stuff yesterday in a bulk buyout, and there was a couple of these things in the pile. I'm guessing some type of specialized lathe follow rest. The end pieces that the workpiece rides on appear to be Delrin. It would be really helpful if I could find what machine this would go on. Looks to measure out for a 16" machine. It's pretty big and heavy. Thanks in advance.100_3856.JPG100_3855.JPG100_3854.JPG100_3853.JPG100_3853.JPG100_3854.JPG100_3855.JPG100_3856.JPG

Last edited:
A picture will help a lot. I am not able to imagine what this looks like.

I think it fits a cylindrical grinder. It's to damped vibration. The clamp for thr front of the fixture is missing.......

Yes, it is a cylindrical grinder BACK REST it supports the work to prevent chatter and inaccuracy due to the work springing away, same as a follow rest on a lathe, except backwards.

Thanks a lot guys. That also clears things up on an offset steady rest that has identical paint and similar construction that was also in the lot. I ended up with a lot of stuff that I'm unfamiliar with, but I also scored on a ton of really nice things like a brand new, never mounted Bison 10" 6 jaw chuck and a new 10" Kitagawa 3 jaw chuck.

Back