Need Help ID'ing This Tool

JDR

Registered
Registered
Image.png

Hello,
Does anyone know what this tool is for? It has an MT2 which fits in the tailstock. It came with an old Craftsman Atlas lathe I picked up this weekend.
Regards,
JDR

A second on the drill "pad"
Dave

Some have a "V" as in the catalog picture above, so you can cross drill round stock or tubing. I found out (the hard way, but not disastrously) that you need to clamp the object being drilled to the pad!
Bill

Gentlemen,
Thank you. The lathe also came with a smaller diameter version with "V" groove. That one looks pretty dangerous.

One more question - has anyone used one of these milling attachments - also came with lathe.

Image2.png
JDR

Yes I have used the Palmgren milling attachment on my Logan. It works ok and is surely better than nothing. The first project I used mine on was making a "T" nut so I could mount a quick change tool post on my Logan. My next project was a replacement shaft for the apron on my Logan. I used the lathe to turn the shaft and the Palmgren to hold the new shaft for cutting a woodruff key slot. I used it to cut a few other woodruff keys. I now have a Southbend 7" shaper and an Atlas horizontal mill so I haven't used the Palmgren milling attachment in a while.

Thank you! It looks like these are intended to straddle a lantern tool post when mounted. This one has four holes in the mounting base, which looks like a mod. I will have to take a closer look at the lathe and see if there are corresponding holes anywhere.

I bought a Palmgren for my Atlas as well. I had what some call a production slide which is longer and was an accessory out of the catalogue. It was a major help in making the lathe stiffer as the load was spread over a large area. One of our members made a new one from scratch and he too saw an improvement in stiff and cutting capabilities.

Back