Need Help In Choosing Mini Lathe - 7x14 Vs 8x16

Have you considered the Sherline products? From your post it seems those would be the perfect ones for your situation, accuracy, noise and space.

I went with the 7x14 Grizzly and love it. I wanted to go bigger but realized I be spending a ton on tooling. probably what I spend on the lathe itself. I just couldn't afford both the lathe and to actually get the tooling to use it and start having fun.

That's true. I've easily spent 1.5-2 times the machine cost for tooling. Especially if you're just starting out. The good part is you can spread that cost out over time.

Thank you for the explanation about backlash - I think I got it!

Sherline makes interesting products, I'm pretty sure lots of people are having fun with them. But the machines seem to be very basic and limited. No compound slide( I may be wrong about that), no power feed, and, main restriction is the size - only 3.5" over the bed and 1.88" over the cross-slide. It doesn't sound serious.

I found couple other topics on this forum with basically the same question as mine:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/first-lathe-g4000-vs-g0768.30044/
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/grizzly-g0768-8-x-16-lathe.36042/
As I understand, both guys went with the larger lathes - 10x22 or so. Unfortunately, it's not an option in my case - I need something I can lift alone or with the help from friend/wife. 8x16 seems to be the largest liftable size. From other hand, big machines (at least affordable ones) are lacking of speed regulator/ power feed reverse. And, if I understand correctly, larger size not necessary means more rigidity. Say, if we increase the swing over the bed from 8" to 10" (25%), we have to increase the bed/headstock rigidity on 25% as well to get, at least, the same overall rigidity (please correct me if I wrong).

So I'm still choosing between the cheapest 7x14 + lots of extras or more expensive, but nice-looking 8x16. I feel like it's time to stop thinking and start doing. Should I toss up a coin? :) Tomorrow, hopefully, I will try to make couple cuts on 7x12 lathe. Maybe that will help.

Last edited:
Well, one weighs 100 lbs and the other weighs 166. It seems that it wouldn't be too hard to move either one.

Both have an MT3 spindle in the head stock and an MT2 in the tail stock.

The 8" one has a 4 jaw chuck listed as standard and the 7" one doesn't.

The 7" lathe requires change gears. Frankly that's never been a deal breaker for me because I don't thread that much.

More feed options on the 8"

The 7" costs $400 less.

The 8" lathe is bigger.

Sound rating is 76 dB for the 7", not given for the 8"

I've almost always bought tooling as I needed it or if it was a really good deal. You should be able to start with either with about the same initial outlay, except for the 4 jaw chuck.

Two of my favorite hobbies are machining and cooking. At one time I was overseas and my wife bought a new electric stove. I think she got the cheapest one available. We had it for seven years. After three years I had to replace the oven coil. Seven years is a very short life time for a stove.

We replaced it with a stove that cost about $300 more. The new stove had a flat top, variable sized burners, a convection oven, and various other features I like.

I bought my cooking pans, knives, etc. the same way as I buy tools. As needed or by jumping on a really good deal. I have a halfway decent kitchen set up now.

I enjoy my pans, knives, etc. much more now because I like and have confidence in my stove.

I guess I'm saying that I'd probably go for the 8" lathe. It will most likely be more useful and durable. My general philosophy for buying anything is to never get either the cheapest or tthe most expensive.

Thank you everyone for your opinions!

Today one of my colleagues kindly allowed me to play with his grizzly 7x12. I got a lot of positive emotions! None of service/adjustments/modifications were performed on that machine. I believe, the factory conservation grease is still on the ways. But even in such condition it works great! The lathe is definitely capable to do everything I ever need.
Being that much impressed with 7x12" lathe, I ordered.. 8x16! Why? Because it looks cooler and has 4 jaw chuck. At least, I can play a while and return it back to grizzly if find it doesn't worth extra money comparing with 7x14.

Lathe starter kit with QCTP from LMS is also on it's way :alien:

I see lack of information about 8x16 in internet. Will try to fill the gap! And I expect myself to be more involved in discussions on this forum soon.

Thank you again!

I don't think you'll ever regret getting a little bigger machine. Welcome to the fray. When you start thinking about adding a Palmgren type milling attachment to your cross slide, it'll be time to consider buying a mini-mill. I'll give you a few years on that. :)

I don't think you'll ever regret getting a little bigger machine. Welcome to the fray. When you start thinking about adding a Palmgren type milling attachment to your cross slide, it'll be time to consider buying a mini-mill. I'll give you a few years on that. :)

Hah! Not more than 24 months and more likely between 5 and 10.

I have an old Mini Lathe, an EMCO UNIMAT 3. It is quite week but I use it for very small parts. Maybe I'm destroyed by the great cutting force of my 70 year old Örn-lathe :confused:
It cuts T6 aluminium like butter.

Back