Need Help In Cutting My Aluminum Rods

I've used my trusty "tiger" saw with a metal cutting blade to cut through 3.5 inch diameter 6061 aluminum. You have to secure the piece in a vice so it does NOT move. Still it's not a piece of cake to cut but with a little wd40 on the cut occasionally it will cut through it. You would have to bundle your pieces tightly then secure the bundle in a vice or standing on it raised above ground so you could cut each section off. (Kind of like a carpenter cutting off the end of a 2x4 using a step stool). The key to this is keeping the saw up tight against the bundle so the blade reciprocates and not you!!!! ;). The reciprocating saw is probably the most versatile tool you can own if you are a homeowner. There's always something that needs cutting and this is the tool for it.

Haha I see you've found the Reciprocating saw (sawzall....tiger saw....etc) to be your weapon of choice. Good deal! As others have suggested bundling the rods will work for you using that saw. Saves cuts and time.

Now somebody get this man some SHOES!!!!....and a shop!!!:rolleyes:

Haha I see you've found the Reciprocating saw (sawzall....tiger saw....etc) to be your weapon of choice. Good deal! As others have suggested bundling the rods will work for you using that saw. Saves cuts and time.

Now somebody get this man some SHOES!!!!....and a shop!!!:rolleyes:

Haha thanks! Yeah I have been using the reciprocating saw now for a few months. It's excellent! I use my vice and I cut 1 rod at a time but doesn't take long to cut each one that I can cut 20 pieces in no time (I get 20 pieces from a single long piece of 3 meter rod).

Regarding the shoes (pink crocs) - they're my wife's but they're just so convenient to wear when stepping out in the garden that I keep wearing it! I need to get my own and in black! ;)

I've used my trusty "tiger" saw with a metal cutting blade to cut through 3.5 inch diameter 6061 aluminum. You have to secure the piece in a vice so it does NOT move. Still it's not a piece of cake to cut but with a little wd40 on the cut occasionally it will cut through it. You would have to bundle your pieces tightly then secure the bundle in a vice or standing on it raised above ground so you could cut each section off. (Kind of like a carpenter cutting off the end of a 2x4 using a step stool). The key to this is keeping the saw up tight against the bundle so the blade reciprocates and not you!!!! ;). The reciprocating saw is probably the most versatile tool you can own if you are a homeowner. There's always something that needs cutting and this is the tool for it.

Yep - I actually used the saw to cut wood for the first time last Sunday. I needed to finish a project of mine for a photography prop and since the weather was nice, I decided to use the saw and it was, again, excellent! I found myself looking for other things to cut! ;)

Back