[4]

Need help in selecting a Collet Chuck for my 1022

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Capt45

Registered
Looking to acquire a 5c Collet Chuck for my PM and need to know how it would attach to the spindle; either via the existing back plate system or a direct fitment to the spindle. Also is a 5c the right Chuck system for the 1022. I'm only interested in turning 1" and smaller metal(s).

pacifica

RGL
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
If you check past post you will find more information than you thought. 5c is quick, holds well, doesn't mar the metal, likes standard sized rods,doesn't stick out much, can be very accurate,allows rod to go through ,expensive if you buy usa, japan or european units. Attach by existing back plate system.

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
5C is really meant for a bigger lathe with a minimum spindle bore of around 1-3/8 or 1-1/2".

The small spindle bore of a 10" lathe will greatly limit the advantages of the 5C. Small diameter drawbars will allow the quick parts changes that make 5C desirable but they usually prevent you from passing material into or through the head. Chucks without a draw bar are available but they make changing parts much slower since you have to unscrew the collet to change parts which defeats a major advantage of 5C collets.

3C collets are sized for smaller size lathes with 3/4-1" spindle bore, but they only go to about 1/2" collets and usually cost more than 5C collets.

ER collets seem to be a better choice for small lathes.

T Bredehoft

Active User
I'm in the process of putting an ER40 collet on my 1030. I purchased the collet chuck from Shars, got the extra mounting plate from PM. Haven't gotten around to mounting it yet, but don't see any problems. I'll need to mount a center boss on the mounting plate to utilize the Set-true features.

[6]
[5] [7]