Need help in selecting a Collet Chuck for my 1022

Capt45

Former Member
Looking to acquire a 5c Collet Chuck for my PM and need to know how it would attach to the spindle; either via the existing back plate system or a direct fitment to the spindle. Also is a 5c the right Chuck system for the 1022. I'm only interested in turning 1" and smaller metal(s).

If you check past post you will find more information than you thought. 5c is quick, holds well, doesn't mar the metal, likes standard sized rods,doesn't stick out much, can be very accurate,allows rod to go through ,expensive if you buy usa, japan or european units. Attach by existing back plate system.

5C is really meant for a bigger lathe with a minimum spindle bore of around 1-3/8 or 1-1/2".

The small spindle bore of a 10" lathe will greatly limit the advantages of the 5C. Small diameter drawbars will allow the quick parts changes that make 5C desirable but they usually prevent you from passing material into or through the head. Chucks without a draw bar are available but they make changing parts much slower since you have to unscrew the collet to change parts which defeats a major advantage of 5C collets.

3C collets are sized for smaller size lathes with 3/4-1" spindle bore, but they only go to about 1/2" collets and usually cost more than 5C collets.

ER collets seem to be a better choice for small lathes.

I'm in the process of putting an ER40 collet on my 1030. I purchased the collet chuck from Shars, got the extra mounting plate from PM. Haven't gotten around to mounting it yet, but don't see any problems. I'll need to mount a center boss on the mounting plate to utilize the Set-true features.

I'm in the process of putting an ER40 collet on my 1030. I purchased the collet chuck from Shars, got the extra mounting plate from PM. Haven't gotten around to mounting it yet, but don't see any problems. I'll need to mount a center boss on the mounting plate to utilize the Set-true features.
Sorry to revive an old thread. I’m looking to get the 1022. Did you end up turning your own backing plate with a boss to fit the Shars zero set ER chuck?

Yes, once I had the backing plates that came with the lathe (on the chucks) iI just duplicated them and it works perfectly. I did make it ZeroSet-able. Just in case my work wasn't perfect. Of course it was (perfect) and I didn't need the Zero Set, but one never knows. I had ordered an extra backing plate, it came after I finished my version. Now I've got a spare.

PM's 10 inch lathes are good. Gear changes are a bore, but I've gotten used to them.

5C Collet Chuck I bought for my 1022 was a Chi-com model without a back plate. I found a back plate on Grizzly's site, ordered it and darned if it didn't work with a minimal amount of "lathe work". The best thing, it cost less than $20 shipped.

seems like the pm1022 is the same family as the grizzly g602 g702 the backplate is $30+ part number P0602054-2 vs $60 at PM. same as the weiss 10x22/30. Im curious if the backplate is the same as the pm1022/30. I thought the PM is proprietary perhaps. are the spindle noses the same?

seems like the pm1022 is the same family as the grizzly g602 g702 the backplate is $30+ part number P0602054-2 vs $60 at PM. same as the weiss 10x22/30. Im curious if the backplate is the same as the pm1022/30. I thought the PM is proprietary perhaps. are the spindle noses the same?

The Grizzly backing plate is a screw on type. The 1022 I have has a bolt on backing plate. Pretty sure they are not the same and the one you posted will not work unless PM changed their design recently.

That looks similar, but the part # is different. I'll look around and see if I can locate the shipping info.

Back