Need help loading a lathe in Austin, TX

Got_Questions

Registered
Registered
Hopefully my first post isn't a bust and doesn't break any rules. No links, but I've just agreed to purchase a Southbend Model A lathe in Austin and, if anyone is available, I need help loading it into the truck. It's a two man job and I'm afraid I don't know anyone in Austin that can help. No time is set in stone so there's some flexibility but I'm planning on going out next weekend (23rd-25th). It's in the Seven Oaks/Tumbleweed Hills area. Food, drink, cash can of course be offered.

Have you considered buying an engine hoist? That, and some lifting straps would enable one man to move it into a pickup truck.
Harbor Freight has a one ton model that would be plenty strong enough, and it can be disassembled for storage
-Mark

I am available. Lets try to meet up so we can warm up to each other and introduce ourselves.

was that the one on CL for $1300? Nice looking lathe and a good price if so!

was that the one on CL for $1300? Nice looking lathe and a good price if so!
It was on FB for that price, yeah.

I am available. Lets try to meet up so we can warm up to each other and introduce ourselves.
Awesome! We'll be in town all weekend and I'm definitely game to meet beforehand. I'll shoot you a DM after work.

Have you considered buying an engine hoist? That, and some lifting straps would enable one man to move it into a pickup truck.
Harbor Freight has a one ton model that would be plenty strong enough, and it can be disassembled for storage
-Mark

I have and still am if nothing else pans out. It'd be more difficult and time consuming, but if push comes to shove then that'll be the route I take. Though I'll just buy a used one and save the rest of the money for beer.

Remove the headstock and countershaft to make it easier. There are 2 bolts under the headstock, 9/16" iirc and the pulley on the CS will need a hex key to remove, there may be 2 screws holding the pulley to it's shaft. Then 2 people can easily move the Bed and Headstock assemblies separately.

Martik,
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely remove a few bits before moving to make it easier.

Candeservices,
I sent you a message with more details.

Back