Need help on how to remove the back gear shifter assembly on a Series 1 Bridgeport

Canus

Registered
Registered
I can't figure out how to remove the bull gear from the housing on a Series 1 pulley drive Bridgeport. Have everything out of the casing but the small bull gear. It appears to be held in place by the back gear shifter fork. How do I remove the back gear shifter assembly so that I can remove the bull gear?

The shaft that the small gear needs to come out. It has a top and bottom bearing to it. When reassembling don’t fill that housing full with grease maybe a 1/3 of a tube if that.

The shaft and upper bearing are out. I now need to remove the shifter fork assembly and back gear so that I can remove the other bearing.

The pin that guides the fork is what you want. Drive the pin from the bottom side of housing up. Pin should be flush when viewed from outside of housing.

Thanks Cadillac. Got it out and now have to figure out how to remove the bearing in the housing. Wish me luck!!

Pilot bearing puller. Basically a internal expanding arbor. Or you could try filling the cavity below the bearing with grease. Then take a rod that will fit in the inner race bore and place there. Then take a hammer and hit the rod which will compress/displace the grease and hopefully push the bearing out of the bore. Works good for a blind hole.

I can't figure out how to remove the bull gear from the housing on a Series 1 pulley drive Bridgeport. Have everything out of the casing but the small bull gear. It appears to be held in place by the back gear shifter fork. How do I remove the back gear shifter assembly so that I can remove the bull gear?
I’d check out YouTube.. I think Joe Pieczynski did a video on changing a gear in his Jet Bridgeport.

Oh man, I just broke the shifting fork last night whilst pulling mine apart. Now putting back together to make new fork then pulling apart again to put it in. I wish my neighbour had a mill.

Before I did repair /replacement of quill feed parts on mine, I bought a Bridgeport manual. Very good investment!

Back