Need help on round nylon type material “not so slippery”’

Here is the picture of the current setup. I wanted the vac to stay with the vise wherever it was because I was used to holding the vac hose at the chuck in same place so much. I will mount a one inch rubberized ball on each side of the spindle base (Off the table) so the vac can hold where the end mill is for larger things later. Also the mounts at the spindle base sides could be used for directing coolant.

I was able to get some of the links with "Make and Offer" on eBay for $7.50 each so that helped the cost. But I did buy more than I currently need, thinking of the coolant setup later or dual vac hoses both sides.

It is on my Rong Fu 31 CNC. I also have a Bridgeport that I may put same setup on although I don't use the Bridgeport as much anymore since I have the Rong Fu CNC.

Can also see my Bridgeport vintage quick change set in the R8 taper. I can change tool there and not need to touch the drawbar. I have a nice array of those Bridgeport quick change parts now, have been laying low about it the last years to avoid competition buying them when they come for sale...

RamMountjpeg.jpeg

Very cool. What do you call those links to find them on eBay? This is the hardest thing for me, getting the terminology right to get the search to work. I have wished several times for something like this for holding vac hose on the mill and other machines.

I put a simple system on my BP mill using the traditional ball and socket flex line along with some 1 1/2" PVC to connect my shop vac hose to. Better explained with a couple of photos.100_2779.JPGDSCN0938.JPG

Ted

The links and claw is from Ram Mounts. Search that company to see all the different parts they offer. You can buy what you need to make any setup. Then go to eBay or amazon for price.

I used the one inch ball set and they make larger ones.

Best thing is you can buy separate parts depending on what you need

They work great. Credit for the idea in a post above in this thread b

Might it be possible to give the balls a light sand blast or bead blast finish? This would certainly allow the nylon to grab securely. The question for you would be whether you want to keep the existing finish(es) on the ball(s).

It's probably a bit late for me to offer you an alternative to the trailer hitch balls ... but there's a line of products called "RAM Mounts" that use rubberized 1" balls and double socket bars. I used to use one to mount a GPS unit on my boat. It held VERY securely. They make a full line of products designed to hold electronics, fishing rods, cameras, etc. on motorcycles, boats, cars etc. Many of the mounts are easily adaptable for machine shop use.

https://www.rammount.com

https://www.amazon.com/l/2599345011

Thanks hman and Cadillac for this. I never would have come on to this system as I'd never seen or heard of Ram Mount before. I'd been bodging very unsatisfactory vac mounts for my machines or doing without. What a great idea!

Back