Need help or Advice.

terryw123

Registered
Registered
A while back I bought a used bridge port mill and a couple boxes of stuff came with it. One thing that was in there was a drill chuck. The name on it is Albrecht 3-16. Its 1/8 to 5/8 capacity. It looks like a very nice, smooth acting chuck. I understand they are very expensive also from Germany.

There is no way to fasten it in the mill or a drill press. Its missing shaft or adapter (or what ever you call it). I would like to get a #2 or #3 MT for it. Does anyone have a good inexpensive place that might have one?

I wanted to post a picture of it but couldn't figure out how to do it.

chuck.jpg

That is about a $500 chuck. Very nice.

Somewhere on the chuck it may say something like JT6 or JTxx That is the Jacobs taper size for the shank that you want. Normally for a BP, you would want a 5/8 straight shank or an R8 shank. You may have to measure the top diameter of the taper to get the size.

What are you going to use it on. That will determine which adapter you get.
Then you can figure out where to get the adapter. some of the cheaper ones will have more runout than the better ones.
Let us know

After you determine what taper your chuck is , you could go with an MT shank for your drill press or tailstock and a MT to R8 sleeve for your BP . Everyone sells them .

As others have mentioned, you need a drill chuck arbor. One end will have the taper of your desired machine (R8, 2MT, 3MT, Straight Shank, etc) and the other end will have the taper or threads that mates up with your drill chuck (if a taper they are often a Jacobs taper ie: 2JT, 3JT, 33JT, etc)

Here's an example of a 2MT-33JT:

The first 3 pages of this catalog shows a variety of drill chuck arbors.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I bought an Albrecht arbor for my Albrecht 3-16 chuck, R8 for my mill. The quality is exceptional, like the chuck, and I have less than .001" runout on a 3/8" gage pin mounted in the chuck. It cost about $50 several years ago. It is worth it.

My chuck has a JT6 taper. I ordered one so I should be good to go now. Thanks for all you help.

My chuck has a JT6 taper. I ordered one so I should be good to go now. Thanks for all you help.

What shank did you end up going with ?

Back