[4]

Need Help Rebuilding or Scraping your Machine ? Please Ask

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Richard King 2

Master Machine Tool Rebuilder & Instructor
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Hello everyone,

With Help of Ken, I have been talking to Nelson and have rejoined the forum. Thank You Nelson for accepting me again as I truely missed the forum.

To all who don't know me. I am a Professional Machine Tool Rebuilder and am open to help anyone who has problems. At one time I was the Moderator of this forum, possibly the first one I think. I hope to contribute to this forum that I once was so addicted to and loved...lol
I hate to violate the rules and talk to much about myself. But I am well know all over the internet and world because I teach rebuilding and scraping around the world. In the past 2 years I have taught over 300 Hobbyists and non Hobbyist in the USA, Scandinavia, Germany and the UK. I want to say hello to all my old students and friends that are moderators and still members. In 30+ years teaching in my or 50 + years I have taught over 30,000 people the Lost Art of machine rebuilding and scraping In my I had to re-join as a "new Member " even though I am an Old Member. Please ask me any question on rebuilding if you have issues. I will read and help when I can. I will have to figure out the forum again to get around. :) Rich

Last edited:

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Howdy Rich, welcome back
Mark S.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Hi Rich. Looking forward to working with and learning from you at your class in Vacaville, Calif. at the end of March. With you joining this group again, maybe you can help get me going early. Thank you so much for all you do to mentor prospective machine tool re-conditioners.

Richard King 2

Thanks Mark....

Looking for the place on how do donate $ or become a commercial member. can you give me a heads up please.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Welcome back.

"Billy G"

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Not sure Rich- ask Ken
Mark

Richard King 2

Hi Rich. Looking forward to working with and learning from you at your class in Vacaville, Calif. at the end of March. With you joining this group again, maybe you can help get me going early. Thank you so much for all you do to mentor prospective machine tool re-conditioners.
That should be a dandy class. Not sure I can mention the classes on here. That class was filled when you guys contacted me and it has a waiting list. I so love to teach the classes. I mentioned to someone on the other forum I contribute to that I was going to retire and I now am collecting SS I have been swamped..lol I should have retired 5 years ago. LOL. My wife and I bought a cabin in Northern WI last spring and I took last summer off and plan to do that again next summer. Thanks for the Welcome everyone, means a lot!

Richard King 2

Welcome back.

"Billy G"
Hey Bill LTNT. I hear you have been feeling a bit under the weather. Get Well Soon. I have had some sort of flu for about a month after returned from the UK class. Went to the clinic and they said nothing was wrong.....now feeling better.... I am older and wiser Bill. No Hard Feelings ...shake..?

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
OK, clean slate.

"Billy G"

JohnCT

Registered
Registered
Appreciate the offer, just starting, was gifted a couple of lathes, going to need lots of help

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Richard,
Just click on your username on the nav bar at the top of the page and then click account upgrades.
**G**

vocatexas

Registered
Registered
Mr. King, it's good to see you on this forum. I wish I had known about your upcoming class in Texas earlier; I would have signed up. I just saw it mentioned at 'the other site' a week or so ago. Hopefully you'll be back in Texas next year and I can come take part.

Machining is something I've had a life-long interest in, but I'm just getting started at age 53. I've started doing some reading on rebuilding old machines and it has really caught my interest. I'm hoping that some day I'll have the skills and knowledge to save some of these great pieces of Americana from the scrappers and give them a chance to keep doing the jobs they were built for.

Enjoy your time in Texas. I look forward to learning more from you here, and possibly meeting you in the future.

mikey

Active User
Welcome back, Richard, and congratulations on retirement!

If you ever decide to come to Hawaii to teach a class, I will be there!

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
Welcome from the Stampede city, Calgary...

astjp2

Active User
Registered
I am glad to have you back Rich, I miss your posts on better ways to restore machines. Tim

Richard King 2

Mr. King, it's good to see you on this forum. I wish I had known about your upcoming class in Texas earlier; I would have signed up. I just saw it mentioned at 'the other site' a week or so ago. Hopefully you'll be back in Texas next year and I can come take part.

Machining is something I've had a life-long interest in, but I'm just getting started at age 53. I've started doing some reading on rebuilding old machines and it has really caught my interest. I'm hoping that some day I'll have the skills and knowledge to save some of these great pieces of Americana from the scrappers and give them a chance to keep doing the jobs they were built for.

Enjoy your time in Texas. I look forward to learning more from you here, and possibly meeting you in the future.
There is a fellow in Austin who is talking about doing something this fall.......I plan of posting that info on my website...or on here if I can...im still reading the rules....

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Austin, Hhmmm, I’ll be watching for more details

Richard King 2

Austin, Hhmmm, I’ll be watching for more details
I believe this is OK to tell you of I am reading this right. As a commercial account, Your rules state: "This allows you to describe your products on the forum, and answer questions about your products."

I have classes with openings:

February 16-20 Navasota TX at Steve Watkins shop - Private machine shop with "The Beast" a Rockford planner
March 12- 16 Rockford IL at Bourn & Koch Machine builders plant
April 25 - 30 Springfield VT at Gear Works - Host was an employee the Fellows company. One evening after class we get a private tour of The American Machine Museum in Windsor, VT
May 9 - 29 Oakland CA at private machine shop.

As stated above I have one coming up near Sacramento CA, but it is more then full. March 28 - April 2

If it's OK I can give details of my classes inside the forum but prefer to discuss $ off forum so I can keep track of things better. Plus hate to violate the rules. So how about asking me in private message and you can write or call me.

Ken or Administrator is this OK?

D

Deleted member 43972

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Holy crap! It's Richard King!
Whenever I see a name so well known, like the time I was browsing old material and came across Abom, it's like encountering a celebrity in our little machining world. I can't wait to absorb whatever knowledge you share. I'd love to take a class if you ever came to Toronto.

Richard King 2

We have a fellow coming to the VT class who's from up there. Maybe you can hitch a ride? You know I put my socks on like everyone else. I just got lucky learning what I know and Teach. Learned from my Dad and was able to work on so many machines. His Invention helps me still today. I see someone has a thread making one. I have been told by many its a real compliment when someone copies you or your tools. :)

Abomb and all those friends and folks on You Tube who take the time to share is going to save our industry. Make it Great Again I hope. Forums like this one and the others also help preserve the knowledge have been doing it too :)

Once I figure out how to post pictures I have some showing Abomb cooking a "Shrimp Boil" for lunch...he said it was mild, and my mouth was on fire...lol

D

Deleted member 43972

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I have played music all my life, got heavily into woodworking in my early twenties, and got heavily into machining 2 years ago, and been a contractor for the past 10 years. Nobody in my family has any talents anywhere close to the things I have done, thought myself everything.
This forum has been indispensable in my learning curve. I learn something we nearly everytime I come here. Which is everyday... Who are we kidding?
I would love to attend in VA, but my life wouldn't allow that time away from work and family.
I realize there is no alternative to teaching in person, but if you ever did instructional videos, I would buy them.

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Welcome back Richard, it is good to have you here again!

Richard King 2

I have played music all my life, got heavily into woodworking in my early twenties, and got heavily into machining 2 years ago, and been a contractor for the past 10 years. Nobody in my family has any talents anywhere close to the things I have done, thought myself everything.
This forum has been indispensable in my learning curve. I learn something we nearly everytime I come here. Which is everyday... Who are we kidding?
I would love to attend in VA, but my life wouldn't allow that time away from work and family.
I realize there is no alternative to teaching in person, but if you ever did instructional videos, I would buy them.
I sell DVD and Thumb drive on how to hand and power scrape a small surface plate. I have recently switched up to digital recording. I also sell the famous Connelly Book and have a line of cast iron straight-edges. message me for more info.

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I believe this is OK to tell you of I am reading this right. As a commercial account, Your rules state: "This allows you to describe your products on the forum, and answer questions about your products."

I have classes with openings:

February 16-20 Navasota TX at Steve Watkins shop - Private machine shop with "The Beast" a Rockford planner
March 12- 16 Rockford IL at Bourn & Koch Machine builders plant
April 25 - 30 Springfield VT at Gear Works - Host was an employee the Fellows company. One evening after class we get a private tour of The American Machine Museum in Windsor, VT
May 9 - 29 Oakland CA at private machine shop.

As stated above I have one coming up near Sacramento CA, but it is more then full. March 28 - April 2

If it's OK I can give details of my classes inside the forum but prefer to discuss $ off forum so I can keep track of things better. Plus hate to violate the rules. So how about asking me in private message and you can write or call me.

Ken or Administrator is this OK?
You are doing just fine, Richard, handling it perfectly in my estimation. We do not have many commercial members here, but the few that we do have handle things much the same way as you have been, freely discussing products and services and their availability, but taking the nitty gritty details off to a Private Message (Conversations as they are called in Xenforo) for discussion amongst yourself and your customers.

We have in the past had some commercial posts where one of our tool selling members (now retired) would post some specific products and prices, but would handle actual sales discussions outside of the forum, so it is not necessarily forbidden to post prices, especially if you happen to run a special on something.

Thanks for becoming a Commercial Member, as you all fill a special niche here at H-M.

Richard King 2

That's pretty much the way I used to do it. I am glad the forum has that category. Thanks Terry....have to come to you next Upper Midwest get to gather and catch up.

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
That would be good. We haven't had one in a while, but who knows what the future holds?

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The "Shadow" knows. Opps

"Bill"

Richard King 2

Maybe next summer we can have one in Hayward WI at my cabin. I have plenty of space in the cabin, dock and land.....Is Daryl still around. I haven't talked to him since we helped the widow of the member from Duluth....I can't remember his name.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Hi Richard,
glad to have you back on the forum, it's been awhile.
i hope everything is going well.
Mike Walton

[6]
[5] [7]