Need Help Replacing Motor On Enco 110-2075 Engine Lathe

Many, many thanks for your efforts looking into this problem. You're awesome.

Here is more information on the distribution panel, and a different view of the "Electrical Equipment Connection" from the manual.

First the Electrical Equipment Connection page:

Electrical%20Equipment%20Connection_zpsga16vzmu.jpg

My lathe is up against the wall, so the best I can do at this time are these 3 pictures of the distribution panel from top to bottom:

Distributing%20Panel%201_zpszmd86qe3.jpg

Distributing%20Panel%202_zpsdwukyqmn.jpg

Distributing%20Panel%203_zpsyu61zdj2.jpg

A million thanks,

CannonFodder (Robert)

Edit: Deleted wrong voltage diagram oops that was a waste of time!

It looks like for 220V You will need to have 5 wires (not counting ground) coming from the motor. The original motor only had 4. I think, but I'm not 100% sure that you can rewire relays KM2 and KM3 to work with the new motor.

Last edited:
My suggestion for discussion:
3-2-5 connected
8 to Z1
1 to V
4 to V (reverse lines if FWD/REV are wrong)
insulate Z2

Contactors will switch phase of the line wires.
Start coil will stay the same phase and 120v to the junction of the two run coils
Should be 4 to U not 4 to V
Mark S.

Note that when wired for 220V to reverse you must swap wires 5 & 8 to reverse direction so wiring 3+2+5 permanently will not work.

I do not believe you can wire this motor for reversing with only 4 wires leaving the motor. I do believe you can rewire the two contactors KM3 (and the other which i believe is KM2 but just marked M2 on the diagram) so they would work with the 5 wires required.

Should be 4 to U not 4 to V
Mark S.
Typo on my part.
Note that when wired for 220V to reverse you must swap wires 5 & 8 to reverse direction so wiring 3+2+5 permanently will not work.

I do not believe you can wire this motor for reversing with only 4 wires leaving the motor. I do believe you can rewire the two contactors KM3 (and the other which i believe is KM2 but just marked M2 on the diagram) so they would work with the 5 wires required.
Reversing either the power or the start will switch the phase relationship between the start and run winding and reverse the motor. You actually can do this with three wires from the control to the motor

Reversing either the power or the start will switch the phase relationship between the start and run winding and reverse the motor. You actually can do this with three wires from the control to the motor

Yes reversing the phase relationship between the run and start windings will change direction. I believe for this motor 5 wires are required if you want to keep the thermal overload active.

If you look at the Baldor connections (mkjs diagram above) you will see that the starting winding is never connected directly across 220 but rather in parallel with only 1/2 of the run winding (getting only about 1/2 the voltage) It may be possible to hook it up with 4 wires but I believe you will not have thermal overload protection for the starting winding in one direction then.

Last edited:
The thermal is in the run winding so it will work regardless of the power connection to the run winding.
Permanent connection of the start winding 2-3-5 or 2-3-8 will reverse the phase relationship if you reverse only the phase connections to the run winding.

line A -1-wwww-2 -----5-----3-wwww-4 - line B (www= coils)
.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxw(connect to 5)
.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxw
.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx8
If 8 is connected to line A then power will flow to line B through the 3-4 coil as there won't be a voltage difference to the A phase.
if the run phases are reversed then power to 8 will flow to line B through the 1-2 coil effectively causing a phase reversal.
Hard to show - the forum changes the formatting.

Last edited:
But if 8 is connected to B the start winding will bypass the the thermal overload. If the centrifugal switch sticks, one of the more common failure modes...

The thermal switch is for the run mode. If 2,3 and 5 (or 8) are connected, then the start coil is connected to the center of the run coils. One side of the power 4, is always connected through the thermal oveload regardless if 5 or 8 are connected to 2 and 3. Since the motor is running on 240VAC split phase, it should not matter which leg is connected to the thermal overload switch as opposed to 120. As I am understanding the connections, the motor direction is a function of flipping the incoming AC phase connections, alternatively switching the motor start winding phase. Not too familiar with the Baldor's single phase wiring, and on a previous install posting used 5 motor wires and rewired the contactors.

Rich is correct about one direction having the thermal out of the circuit for the start winding. A compromise would be to arrange the connections so that the thermal disconnects start and run in the forward direction since that is most likely what will be used most of the time. I'm not sure though if the start winding can trip the thermal overload if it's stuck on.

Back