Need help selecting slitting saw setup

It doesn't have the low RPM, either. Get much over two inch diameter and the blade speed is too high. A four inch blade would be great, but the slowest RPM would smoke the blade shortly.
That's exactly the problem. Not geared (pulleyed?) for big blades. Insufficient torque at these low speeds. I've had "fun" with my 4" Niagara slitting blade. The smaller 2-3/8" Malco slitting saw was less of a problem.

You should also have a splatter shield or wear a shirt you don't mind having a permanent stripe on because I guarantee you that you will be wearing a lot of cutting fluid when you're done.
Haha, already learned that the hard way. Wear an apron whenever I do slitting now. Slung oil all over my sweatshirt :(

I had one shirt with a cross on it, vertical from a refreshed lathe chuck and horizontal from my slitting saw. It has long gone into the rag pile but I learned, too.

I am having a hard time trying to select a slitting saw arbor and saws for it. To use in my milling machines.

Can someone recommend an arbor and saws to go with it? I am not kidding, it needs to be an idiot proof recommendation... Meaning, if a link to the actual arbor and saws is possible, that would be best.

Only thing that I know is that I would like it to be so the arbor is not huge/thick. I have seen a few videos of people regretting getting one that is too thick and it takes away from the cutting capacity of the blade.

R8 arbor
And most commonly used saw blade recommendations...

I do not have a project for them... just want to start with something...
Make your own arbor? That's what I do.
Look up on youtube, and HM , I am sure you will find some good designs.
you can do a dedicated single size, or make one that handles multiple sizes.
I use a straight shaft.

sorry, not going to read all the responses, just throwing my 2 cents into the ring.
Been busy.

Didn't know that, but makes lots of sense! For that matter, didn't know about burying the saw. Always been a bit scared of doing that. Have stalled the mill with the saw going in too fast, so have backed off on the feed and taken lighter cuts. PM25 doesn't have the grunt of a bigger mill, so have to accommodate that. @wachuko 's mill won't be fazed at all.
This is why I got the 1/2” arbor with the 2” saw blades…to be able to use those in the G0704…

Still waiting on the VFD for the larger mill…:confused:

@wachuko were your arbors clean inside? My 1/2" arbor had a lot of swarf in the hole and the screw was full of cosmoline. Had to disassemble and pull swarf out with tweezers, pipe cleaners, as well as clean out the threads of the screw. Initially couldn't screw in the screw all the way. It was kind of disappointing. After a clean up things were better. Cap seems looser than I'd expect. Think I will measure mine along with the bore. Are the caps on yours a good fit to the arbors? Is there any play?

@wachuko were your arbors clean inside? My 1/2" arbor had a lot of swarf in the hole and the screw was full of cosmoline. Had to disassemble and pull swarf out with tweezers, pipe cleaners, as well as clean out the threads of the screw. Initially couldn't screw in the screw all the way. It was kind of disappointing. After a clean up things were better. Cap seems looser than I'd expect. Think I will measure mine along with the bore. Are the caps on yours a good fit to the arbors? Is there any play?
I had to go back to check... it was full of cosmoline/oil... and then I started to clean the inside... Sure enough, there was some swarf, not a lot.

IMG_4225.jpeg

IMG_4226.jpeg

I had to go back to check... it was full of cosmoline/oil... and then I started to clean the inside... Sure enough, there was some swarf, not a lot.

View attachment 393709

View attachment 393710
Didn't take pictures, but the cosmoline was a little on the tough side to remove. Had a lot more swarf than that come out! Like 8-10 times more. Will measure the ID of the bore and OD of the plug. Maybe it's fooling me, but the cap on mine just doesn't seem to be a snug fit. I thought it needed to be a snug sliding fit, but maybe that's not true.

I only had the 1” here… the 1/2” is already in the other house, so could not check that one…

When I get to the other house, I will check play and report back

Back