Need help spending $10k on a lathe

M.T. Pockets

Registered
Registered
So I'm looking to buy a manual lathe at work and the budget I've been given is about $10k for the machine, stand, and basic tooling. The machine needs to be able to cut 303 stainless and 4140 mild steel fairly well and turn at a minimum 6in diameter part. A space of ~24" between centers should be good enough.

I know of and have used lathes from Grizzly, Baileigh, and a few others but I'd really like to avoid chinese hot garbage for this machine. I've looked at the Wabeco D6000 which would fit the bill nicely but I don't think they ship to the US. There is MDA precision which imports Wabeco's but they have a huge markup that puts them out of budget. Unfortunately buying used isn't an option otherwise I'd be buying a Logan heavy 10. Sherlines, Taigs, and the like just aren't big enough for the job. As of right now the only reasonable option I can find would be a Taiwanese machine from PM or maybe Jet.

Any suggestions that I haven't looked at yet would be much appreciated.

Look for a quality unit on the used market. Back in 2013-14 ish I was a volunteer consultant for a makers space. I located a late 80s era 1440 colchester lathe from a Montreal Pharmaceutical lab tool room. Yes that big grey lathe you are thinking of. Blind auction, conditions were we had to remove it at our cost. I low balled them at 2.5K$ and was top bidder. Got to run it on site, gibs were tight and the hand wheels were smooth. It was old but low millage. The runner up bidder won because they were a machine dealer and had their own hoisting crew and truck, one business day later for removal. We had the higher bid but needed a week for our moving contractor to show up.

Get the boss to bump up the budget and check out this one.

Hard to explain to management a 9 month lead time for something they just decided they needed.

John

?????? I'm here to help ! :grin: I'll be back in the mode in 2 weeks . Heading south and will be switching into Fall/Winter selling mode . 10K would get you a sweet lathe .

You are in the Detroit area?
30sec on CL and I found this.
Reasonable skepticism as to the claim of good condition. Though email the owner, ask to visit. If it is as good as the average lathe of contemporary age I have encountered on two university campus machine shops, than this is the one to get.

1-2k$ on transit, 1-3k$ one electrical and hookup. You still have a lot of cash for tooling.

1660356339795.png

^^^ This^^^

Or look into the Eisen. I have one, and it is a very nice machine.

Back