Need help understanding single and three phase power.

I agree, it would be best to ask specific questions, as there is far too much to put into one discussion thread and cover everything.

The electrician's concept of "two phases" in a household supply is not the engineer's definition of phase, which causes confusion. 120/240V is single-phase.

Regarding motors, a single-phase stator (the stationary portion of the motor, as opposed to the rotor) also has a rotating field, just as a three-phase stator does. That's why the rotor turns, trying to keep up with it. The tricky part, is that it actually has two counter-rotating fields, and the rotor would run equally well in either direction, depending on how it's started. The starting windings take care of that, by creating more pull in one direction than the other. A three-phase motor is inherently self-starting.

alan
any chance we can back up to DC motor and then take a run at this?
maybe 'winding' type of motor ( i saw about half dozen types of DC motor on wik )
plus leave electricians/engineer difference out for the time being?
i'm familiar with Kohler generator on side of motor.
windings bolted to block with little 'heads' on them and magnets in flywheeel.
i know it's GENERATOR not motor.

Have A Nice Day!

Maybe start a new thread? This one is going in various directions, and seems to be in two different places too.

alan
like herding cats?
well i'll be busy dusting off my Electronics Lab and
looking at experiment left on it before i take it off
and start at Lesson #1.

Have A Nice Day!

Back