Need help wiring the "Clearpath killer" for Clough42 ELS - iSV57T-180

No love - I deleted the workspace folder so Code Composer would make a new one, loaded up a fresh download, made only one change to the code to use EQEP2, and the same result. All buttons and functions including the power button operate normally, but again after about 90 seconds the boot screen flashes, shows the version number again, and then reverts to just saying "CLOUGH42" and becomes unresponsive.

No love - I deleted the workspace folder so Code Composer would make a new one, loaded up a fresh download, made only one change to the code to use EQEP2, and the same result. All buttons and functions including the power button operate normally, but again after about 90 seconds the boot screen flashes, shows the version number again, and then reverts to just saying "CLOUGH42" and becomes unresponsive.
Three things:
1) If you have the stepper driver connected, remove it. Also remove the encoder connector. Reboot and see if that helps.
2) Check the crimps on the encoder connector. I have a friend that was getting false readings from the encoder because of bad pin connections.
3) With the encoder disconnected, measure the A & B pins. they should be near 3.3 Volts.

Thanks - I will give that a go later today and let you know what I find. I appreciate the guidance!

With the motor and encoder disconnected I measured the voltage between the A pin and ground on the TI board - 0.97V. The display did the same thing - functioned for a bit and then went back to just saying "CLOUGH42" and became unresponsive. I think my TI board must be toast - again.

With the motor and encoder disconnected I measured the voltage between the A pin and ground on the TI board - 0.97V. The display did the same thing - functioned for a bit and then went back to just saying "CLOUGH42" and became unresponsive. I think my TI board must be toast - again.
What is the voltage on pin 4 of the encoder connector. It should be 5 volts. Maybe you have a power supply problem.

The TI board has to be rebooting, in order for it to display "Clough42", only executes that section on startup.

I just measured that voltage on the pin marked 5V and got 11.9V - something is definitely mixed up because there is no 12V in this project (other than the case fan which is completely separate).

The TI board has to be rebooting, in order for it to display "Clough42", only executes that section on startup.
Exactly, that is why I suspect a power problem. Also this is his 3rd or 4th board. It point to bad power.

I have another board on the way - I had some shorts in previous displays that caused some problems but the one I have now is much higher quality. To get 12V on the board when there is no 12V source tells me that something is wrong with the board. The 5V comes from a standard 5V wall wart power adapter.

Well I found part of the problem and, as usual, it is me. I was perplexed by the voltage reading I took this morning being so close to 12V. When I built my enclosure I had a 12V wart and a 5V wart, but it seems I must have had an extra 12V wart on my workbench because I slapped a 5V label on it (I was trying to make sure I did not screw up - unsuccessfully) and installed it as if it was 5V. I was sending 12V to the board the whole time which likely caused some problems in there. I installed the 5V wart and the display boots up and does not go into reboot mode. Unfortunately, pin A still shows 0.8V and there is still no RPM. My guess is that I blew the pull up resistor. The new board is on the way so fingers crossed!

Back