Need help with a craftsman lathe chuck thread issue please.

Thanks Brino. I've got it all together. I need to mount the motor and all it has is two pivots on a bar that's part of the motor. Does anyone know if i'm just supposed to use the weight of the motor to provide tension to drive that separate pulley shaft? This one has a second shaft that I had to disassemble to put the belt on as well. It has four different size pulleys for speed changes and two pulleys to be driven by the motor. I think you can see it in one of my pics.

wc5cab will know the answer to your question about how to tension the motor. I looked at the parts diagram for your lathe and didn't see anything about tensioning the motor. Looked over at Vintage Machinery and saw several pictures of motor set ups for you lathe. There were two variations. One variation had the motor on a hinge with the weight of the motor keeping the belt tensioned. Did not see a tensioning screw. The other variation had the motor mounted to the bench where the motor could be slid to tension the belt and then tightened in place.

My band saw had the belt tensioned by just the weight of the motor. The motor would bounce on the pivot constantly changing the tension on the belt. This didn't work very well. So I added a bolt to provide constant tension on the belt. You should be able to do the same with your lathe.

IMG_4082.JPG

This is not a pic of my stuff but it is exactly my setup. I can’t tell if the motor weight is what applies tension to that belt

Attachments

• 3FACAB45-3CE5-4A31-A35C-771BFDEC44D6.jpeg
    3FACAB45-3CE5-4A31-A35C-771BFDEC44D6.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 10
Can't tell from the picture how the belts are tensioned.

This is not a pic of my stuff but it is exactly my setup. I can’t tell if the motor weight is what applies tension to that belt
From that picture , it looks like a jackshaft/countershaft is between the motor and the spindle. You will need to tension both belts. The one between the spindle and the countershaft may be the most difficult, because the counter shaft assembly doesn't look adjustable in any way except for where it is screwed to the bench top. Another intermediate pulley that can me moved may work well for that (e.g. moved against the top portion of the belt perpendicular to the belt).

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

The Lathe UK site has lots of pictures and descriptions of the belt drives for your lathe. This should help you get it set up.

Thanks for all the help! I got it under power today. I’ll start making chips as soon as i find some scrap. Thank you again!

Back