Need help with a gear.

38Bill

Registered
Registered
My old but very low hour Sears garden tiller stripped a gear this past weekend. It appears that the part is no longer available. Any chance somebody could make one for me? Its not hardened steel so that should make it easier but it does have splines. This is beyond my capabilities so it will get junked if I cant get this part. As you can see the entire row of teeth are missing. I'm thinking that it would be made as a single gear and then machined for the shift fork slot. Let me know if it looks doable and an estimate of the cost would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• tiller gear a.JPG
    tiller gear a.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 1,032
  • tiller gear b.JPG
    tiller gear b.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 210
  • tiller gear c.JPG
    tiller gear c.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 201
Try online lawn equipment places.

If you have sears part number then Google it as some company made it for sears and there are likely other brands of same thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Agreed, there should be one out there. But if not would it be possible to just drill the parts in question and install a shear pin? Other options would be to build up the stripped area with weld and file it to fit.

The time to set-up for making this part would probably far exceed the cost of a new tiller. Call your local independent repair shop and see if they have one sitting out in their boneyard.

John

A repair option would be turn down the stripped section, then makeor purchase a new gear to be pressed and brazed in place.

The tiller was sold under the Craftsman, Yard Bird, Poulan and a few other names but the part is not available on any of the websites I checked. I thought about building it up with weld but I would still have to buy tooling to cut the teeth but that may be the only option I have. The part is the gear that drives both the transmission and the tiller tines so it has to be stout. I ruled out trying to marry another gear to it because I don't think it would hold up.

Stoller lawn and Garden in Orrville Ohio has a lawn equipment junk yard under roof. Plus lots of stuff in stock or available. Busy place but will return your call.

Did you check McMaster catalog? Of course that could be a career unto itself.

You can probably buy a tiller with a blown engine on craigslist for similar money or less.....And maybe better made.

What follows is an unanswerable question.

Why did the stronger/wider teeth strip? Why not the weaker/narrower ones?

Oh good grief... the inside of that seems to be 9/16". The tool I made for my shaper to cut splines is 5/8"!

I'm not sure I could fit my rotary table on my shaper though, so I'm not sure how accurate I could get the splines anyway :/

The tiller was sold under the Craftsman, Yard Bird, Poulan and a few other names but the part is not available on any of the websites I checked. I thought about building it up with weld but I would still have to buy tooling to cut the teeth but that may be the only option I have. The part is the gear that drives both the transmission and the tiller tines so it has to be stout. I ruled out trying to marry another gear to it because I don't think it would hold up.

The place that has that part might not take the time to list it on a website, time to break out the telephone.

Best bet will be trying to find one with a broken engine sitting behind an independent shop, start with whoever in your town fixes snowblowers and lawn equipment. They will be busy this time of year so be patient with them and when they say they don't have your part politely question who might. Chances are fairly good that your tiller was sold to quite a few folks locally so the neighborhood fix-it guy might have one rusting in his junk pile. Tillers are fairly expensive new so less likely to be scrapped out than some other stuff.

But, realize that shops only have so much room to store junk. I would haul scrap to the recycle probably 3 or 4 times a year when I had my shop (but it was fetching $230/net ton back then). If you call around though to places that have been in business for a long time there is a chance they have that part sitting in a bin new, it's the type of thing they would have been required to stock if they were a dealer originally.

Unfortunately, the repair business is a money looser and lots of small shops have gone under. How much are the tools to do it in your shop? Less than a tiller costs?

John

Don't undersell shrinking a new gear on. Automotive transmissions often have gears just shrunk to a shaft, no pins, no splines.

Back