Need help with affixing a part

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
So my new guitar knobs will be the push-on serrated hole type rather than the set screw type.
For all my guitar knob jigs I have made male serrated ends to hold the 3/4" rod knob blanks.
I need to turn the knob blank in the pic to a ball. The brass rod with serrated end in the pic is what I'll hold the blank with in the lathe.
The male and female serrated parts do not fit perfectly tight and so there lies my dilemna.
How do I keep the knob onto the brass rod while radiusing the blank?
I was thinking maybe locktite. How long would locktite take to set? Will it allow me to get the knob off easily after turning it? Will the brass rod still be usable?
Or is there some sort of sticky puddy to put into the knob blank hole?
Any and all ideas and advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 83119951-AA7D-43D4-AFF7-5B67B1A69E56.jpeg
    83119951-AA7D-43D4-AFF7-5B67B1A69E56.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Blue Loctite (medium strength) might work and would allow you to get it back off. Normal set time is 24 hours. The rod should still be useable.

Another possibility would be to just use a piece of paper to take up the slack between the parts.

Or maybe just bump the tailstock center up against the ball to keep it from coming off.

I used super glue. Seems to be holding fine. Hope it's easy to get off.

I would use Loctite 638 retaining compound. Retaining compound is for retaining parts. Remember that Loctite is a header for many dozen products, and the color is only good for a quick reference for telling two tubes apart on the bench. This one will fill up to .100 inch gap and the initial cure is 4 minutes.

Back