Need Help with an SB 9" follower rest

Robert Shimko

Registered
Registered
A non-working telescoping follower rest came along with my 9" workshop lathe. I have never used a follower rest, and it looks like this will come in very handy if I can get it together again. When I received it, the knurled end caps were rusted to the steel sleeves that house the brass bearing rod jaws. The previous owner had beat on everything trying to get it all apart. I finally got it 90% apart with the exception of one knurled cap is still rust welded to the iron sleeve. as soon as the Kroil does it's job , and I can separate those two pieces, I will begin the re-assembly.
I had to make the 5/8" brass bearing rod jaws, and have yet to drill and tap the hole in the top/rear of them. My problem is that not all of the parts came with this follower rest. There are telescoping rods that attach the knurled end caps to the brass rod jaws, but I don't have any ideaif they are right or left handed threads, or if they are fine or coarse pitch.
Also there are some spring clips and small pins that I assume are there to ensure that the end caps don't vibrate loose which are missing as well. These can be fabricated.

Can anyone with knowledge about these follower rests help me out by telling me the length, diameter and thread pitch of the telescoping jaw adjusting screws on a 9" South Bend Telescoping Follower rest?
Thanks

Attachments

• follower rest expolded view-page-1.jpg
    follower rest expolded view-page-1.jpg
    724.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Thank you UB27,
I read the entire thread that you referenced, it was very helpful.
That poster used 3/8-16 left hand threads. I was thinking of using 3/8-24 LH.
Can you think of anything wrong with a fine thread? I could go with the 3/8-16 if it reall matters.

The original used 3/8-10 lh, somewhere in one of Mark's threads he mentioned that going from 10 to 16 threads meant making the brass finger longer. I can't quite get my head wrapped around the workings but I think going to 24tpi will make things worse. I used a SB last in 1963 :)

3/8-16lh taps are easy enough to find. Worst case single point with a custom tool for the reach inside.

@Robert Shimko ,

It looks like @ub27Rocks has much more useful input on this than I do.

I just stopped by to say Welcome to the Hobby Machinist!

I'd like to find a follow rest for my SB 9", so I will be watching with interest.

-brino

It looks like I will be ordering the 3/8-16 LH tap for my brass jaws and starting with a four inch length.
Thanks to all who responded.
Robert

Back