Need Help with Mill Identification

domperna52

Registered
Registered
Hi All,
I am a mentor for the local high school robotics team and have been helping them build machines for competition for five years. In that time I have tried to accumulate tools for their shop. Someone recently donated an old milling machine to the team. I can't find any identification on it to determine the brand or anything else about it. I was hoping someone could help out with the ID and have added a few pictures of the machine. It appears to somewhat incomplete in that the milling head is attached to the base by some structural steel. The original mount might have been to provide rotational motion for the mill head but is not there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
IMG_0629 Mill Picture 1.JPG IMG_0630 Mill Picture 2.JPG IMG_0631 Mill Picture 3.JPG

I am not sure of the brand. Maybe one of those machines that had a bad fall. This would explain the structural steel. The table looks in excellent shape, no chunks missing or gouges. Must have been taken care of.
It will still be a great learning tool for the kids. They are lucky to have a teacher who cares.
Cheers
Martin

To me the base has the "look" of a Brown & Sharpe. Whatever it is, it is likely very old, probably earlier than WWII. The structural steel is there because a vertical head was grafted on to it, something that has been done by many. I have no idea of what brand the vertical head is. The hole below the left side of the table was probable originally for a production lever feed, and the table has been converted to handle hand feeds like we are used to. Just guessing, it is for sure some sort of Frankenmill, but I like it, at least as much as I can see of it.

I like it too. Looks to be capable of doing small milling perfect for the robotics group.. Nice score. My hats off to you for mentoring.
The next question is what kind of taper does the quill have?

Wow! Thanks for all the great responses! I'll post more pictures when we actually move the mill into the robotics shop (any tips on how to move it safely?). I will definitely label it "Frankenmill" for the students. I am a retired mechanical engineer and have worked with some amazing machinists over the years (those guys have been worth their weight in gold) and have always been a machinist wannabe. Hopefully the small machining amount I know can help the kids build a better robot, and we can all learn mill use together. Any suggestions on a good basic milling manual or book would be greatly appreciated. This past year I built a small CNC router for the team (about 13" by 20" table). We used it for making about ten mounting plates for the robot using Mach3 software and Autodesk Inventor HSM for G-code generation. One of the students learned enough to take a item from CAD to finished part. I am looking forward to getting this mill up and running for the team and putting it to use to build some amazing 'bots! I'm sure I'll be back asking for more help.
Thanks

Back