Need Help With My Scrapheap Rpc Build

jhuston

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello everyone,

I have eleven three phase machines in my shop that would love to help me get work done, but are sitting idle ( some of them for years) because I've never gotten around to building a rotary phase converter.
Well, now's the time.
I've started collecting parts to build an RPC. I have a 5hp, 1725 RPM 3 phase motor ( 14A @220) and a Furnas size 1 mag starter with fused disconnect. I'm a mechanic by trade, and while I have little problem repairing the used equipment that comprises my shop ( thirty-one vintage machines, the newest built in the late 1950's, the earliest sometime before 1903), I'm a little intimidated with drawing up a wiring diagram for an RPC; I just don't "get" electrical concepts the way I understand mechanical ones.

I understand the basics of how an RPC works, but the finer points ( start versus run capacitor layout, etc.) are confusing to me. I don't expect someone to do it for me, but I'll be the first to admit I need whatever help I can get.

Thank you,
-James Huston, out of his depth

jhuston

Thank you for the diagram; I'll post my progress ( and probably bug you for more help!)
James Huston

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
i wanted my design to be as compact as possible.
there is no need for a motor to start the idler.
just be careful when you are handling capacitors, treat them like they are rattlesnakes

jhuston

Point taken. I've never been bitten by a capacitor in my years of rebuilding motors, and I certainly don't intend to get zapped now!

-James Huston

jhuston

Well, it's been a long time since I've been able to give the RPC build my attention; I've been doing motor rebuilds and power tool restorations to bring in more money, and haven't had a moment to myself to work on this. I've made some progress, but I have yet to size or install the capacitor to the one leg of the 3 phase motor. If my pony motor is 5 hp, 14 amp 1725 rpm, my capacitor should be about 200 uf, shouldn't it?

-James Huston

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock