Need Help With Small Gear Repair. Tfs Fs 450ah Same As Emco Compact 8 & Central Machinery 1679

randyd808

Registered
Registered
looking for someone who can repair a gear with some broken tooth for my lathe.

Hi Randy,
I'm unable to help you because I don't yet have the right kind of tooling or skills, but because I'm in a similar situation I have learned some of the questions that may be asked. What kind of lathe, how many teeth, is the gear one of the change gears or another gear? Pictures are always good.
If it is a change gear, many are available new on Amazon. You can also find them on eBay.
Zamak gears, which were used in Atlas lathes for change gears, are not reparable, but can be replaced.
If you don't know all the answers don't worry. People here will help!

Steve Shannon

thanks for the replies...
I took a chance on a TFS FS 450AH lathe which is a replica of a EMCO COMPACT 8.
this gear is on the apron which rides on the rack. broken gear is 12 tooth which is about 18 mm wide. sorry really new I don't even have calipers to measure yet.

Last edited:
Do you have or have access to a dividing head and a mill of any sort?
You can do this or hire it out.
Does it come off the shaft readily? Or will it need to be turned down and the new one fitted?
Be for you cut the old one off you should measure the old one. Given that you still have existing consecutive opposing teeth this is doable with either wires or an optical comparator.
If you can double check it against the mating gear that's even better.
I wonder if there is a HM in your area that could walk you through this?
Great fun!!

Daryl
MN

thanks daryl.
no mill of any sort. very new this is my first equipment. It will need to be turned down and new one fitted or braze and re-cut. this gear mates with rack to move apron from side to side. looking to hire or where can I have it sent for repair?
I see that the emco maximat 7 have a similar gear. any emco maximat 7 owners that can give me the dimension. it might be a match..
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

thanks daryl.
no mill of any sort. very new this is my first equipment. It will need to be turned down and new one fitted or braze and re-cut. this gear mates with rack to move apron from side to side. looking to hire or where can I have it sent for repair?
I see that the emco maximat 7 have a similar gear. any emco maximat 7 owners that can give me the dimension. it might be a match..
s-l1600.jpg

Yea I know that gear, stripped one once. Was going to make a new one but Grizzley had what I needed. It might be a good time to try a single point tool to cut the gear if you have a way to index it. A spin indexer would work with 5C collets since yours is 12 teeth.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Yea I know that gear, stripped one once. Was going to make a new one but Grizzley had what I needed. It might be a good time to try a single point tool to cut the gear if you have a way to index it. A spin indexer would work with 5C collets since yours is 12 teeth.

randyd808, Did you try Grizzly?

Daryl
MN

I'm about to try brazing up some teeth on a gear and filing them to fit. Don't know how that's going to work. I'll let you know. It's a bevel gear, so a bit more comlex shape than a spur gear. One thing about this gear (and yours) is that it is hand cranked, so I don't have to wory about high speed operation. I've seen gears repaired by drilling holes where the teeth were and putting in inserts then either machining or filing them to fit. That is probably a standard sized gear and can be machined off and replaced, but if you don't have a lathe to do it on it makes it kind of hard. Good luck.

Back