Need help with stuck 3-jaw chuck Unimat sl

Deloid

Registered
Registered
I spend almost all my time with my watchmakers lathes but occasionally I need to use the Unimat SL. Today I was making a replacement part for a clock and the brass rod I drilled is now stuck in the chuck. I cannot open it with the two steel rods. This has never happened to me before but I have to admit, I haven't cheaned the machine in 30 years.
Any advice as to how to proceed?
Thanks,
Dean

Have you tried prying the two steel rods with a screwdriver or similar tool? Always works for me
Might want to spray a little liquid wrench in there too
Mark

Mark,
I tried that and it didn't budge. I also tried long drill bits that had a tighter fit...one surprisingly bent instead of snapping off.

The chuck has (3) tommy bar positions. Make sure you are using the (2) outer positions. Not the position to undo the chuck from the spindle. And also make sure you are going in the correct direction.

Maybe try sticking it the freezer & try when it's cold. As a last resort can try mounting the chuck in a bench vise & use a pair of Channel Locks, but of course use pads so you don't mar the chuck.

The chuck has (3) tommy bar positions. Make sure you are using the (2) outer positions. Not the position to undo the chuck from the spindle. And also make sure you are going in the correct direction.
Thanks. I know the process very well but I do have to admit that when it wouldn't budge I doubted myself and did actually check my now very old manual. :)

Maybe try sticking it the freezer & try when it's cold. As a last resort can try mounting he chuck in a bench vise & use a pair of Channel Locks, but of course use pads so you don't mar the chuck.
I like the freezer idea. Maybe a touch of heat then freezer? I don't understand the channel lock idea. It's off the spindle of course but I think I'm missing something here

Back