Need help with tooling for new lathe

fishingreg

Registered
Registered
Hello, I am starting at ground zero with a lathe. This is my first so I have nothing except the lathe at this point and it does not have power yet... As with most things I am self taught, not always by preference but I don't have friends that already have things like lathes.. I need some basic tooling to start, facing, parting, and threading tools. Eventually I want to be able to chamber and thread my own barrels and such along with make lord knows what parts for my way too many other hobbies as well. So with that said, my thread pitch will be in the 24-28 range at this point. I will need to reach in and do some internal threads in something that has a 1/2" opening. At first thought, my tool holder will hold 5/8" tools so why not just all go with 1/2" tools. Then I thought, that a 1/2" tool might not fit in a 1/2 opening for threading... So I suspect there are a bunch of other little things I am not thinking about when looking for my start up tooling. I know I will have to probably have many tools of different sizes that do the same job but I would like to start with the most common ones that I will use the most and then start picking up others here and there. Is there anything wrong with me getting say a 5 piece facing kit in 1/2"? Any disadvantages? Will a 3/8" threading tool be rigid enough to handle the basics? I am leaning towards learning using HSS and I plan to turn fairly slow, and have heard that would be a better bet than carbide for us new slower turning folks. Any thoughts there? I do not want to grind my own tools, at least not for a long time, that would be a whole new hobby and I want to focus on using the lathe, not making tooling for it. I see Arthur R Warner offers HSS with replaceable bits just as the carbide ones do. Is that recommended? Any other places you recommend buying from? Any help you can give would be appreciated. This process is almost a bit overwhelming and I just want to start slow and simple.

The 1/2" set would be a good place to start.
For smaller internal threads later, you can always use a smaller tool with shims under it.

Look at Bokum internal threading tools, they are HSS and are sharpened by grinding on top of the cutting face (only). For external threading, Aloris makes a tool that is also sharpened on top.

I would say you are missing out if you strike grinding tool bits off your list. Often you need to make a bit in a certain shape and with a 30$ cheapie grinder and a couple hss bits you can do that. You can also sharpen your own drill bits with a little practice. It's pretty easy and fun
Mark
ps I had to make a small aluminum pulley yesterday so I ground two bits, one for each side of the V-groove- worked great and much easier and cheaper than trying to buy them- if I even could

Last edited:
Beware cheap grinders; I bought a HF bench grinder used at an estate sale, it was hardly usable due to excessive vibration, got new American made wheels, they still vibrated and wobbled, made new machined flanges, still excessive vibration, it is a POS! Accurate tool grinding demands a smooth running grinder without appreciable vibration.

I would say you are missing out if you strike grinding tool bits off your list. Often you need to make a bit in a certain shape and with a 30$ cheapie grinder and a couple hss bits you can do that. You can also sharpen your own drill bits with a little practice. It's pretty easy and fun
Mark
ps I had to make a small aluminum pulley yesterday so I ground two bits, one for each side of the V-groove- worked great and much easier and cheaper than trying to buy them- if I even could

Thanks for the info, I have not scratched that off my list, I just can't fit anything else on my list at the moment. I'm working to get the lathe wired, leveled, remove twist if needed, buy tooling, buy micrometers and depth gauges and everything else that goes with it. I hope in a year, I am looking for something to add to the list and grinding my own tooling will likely be on that list. It sounds like something I would actually enjoy but my plate is as full as it can get with just starting and I feel I will have a more successful start up if I can use tooling with the correct edge, relief and everything else it needs.

Gotta ask , what size lathe and what size toolpost are you running ? That would determine what size shank tooling I would get . Your ID tooling is always going to be smaller . Not knowing how to grind your tooling will be a major hinderance unless you are willing to shell out the $$$ to purchase specialty tooling . You can pick up cheap grinders just about anywhere and practice up on your tool grinding skills . Why not get a few HSS toolbits off of the Bay and play around with them until you figure out what you'll need for specific jobs , then go for the smaller insert cutters .

Greg, welcome to HM!

As @mmcmdl said, it is impossible to recommend tooling without knowing what size lathe you have and the kind of tool post you're using.

Like many new guys, I know you're anxious to start using your lathe and if you have to learn to grind tools before using it then that's a total buzzkill. Your options are brazed carbide, pre-ground HSS tools or inserted HSS/carbide tools; all will get you up and running NOW. Later on, if you are so inclined, you can learn to grind your own HSS tools.

If I were you, I would buy some decent grade brazed carbide tools to start. Also buy some credit card sized diamond stones so you can hone the carbide part; just follow the angles on the sides and get the top flat so that the edge is sharp. You should also use the stones to put a tiny radius at the tip of the tool. Of all the brazed carbide tools out there, the one I found the most useful is the BR-type (this is a Right Hand tool; the LH version is the BL). This one has a 15 degree angled insert that can rough, face and finish by altering the angle of the tool. If you keep it sharp, it can last for decades.

For external threading, you can buy inserted HSS or carbide threading tools or grind your own. For internal threading, much depends on the depth and size of the bore but you would be wise to consider solid carbide internal threading tools. Again, it depends on the dimensions you need to thread.

There is so much to choosing tooling that its hard to list it all. Give us more info and maybe the guys can be more specific.

Thanks mikey and mmcmdl,

The lathe is a PM1340GT. I have a BXA tool post. My current tool holders (I only have 5 to start) will hold up to 5/8". The boring holder is 3/4". I will need to get more tool holders but at this point, I have not made my first chips so I'm just looking for a starting point. I can only imagine how big the world will seem once I start cutting.. I just don't want to buy tools that I find out I will never use because of something that I had no idea about at this stage. For now I will just be playing for the most part and maybe making some knobs and screws and such just for practice so I can learn.

Ultimately I will be turning, facing, parting, making slight tapers, and making tenons and threading. I intend for a chuck of the work to be done on stainless barrels for my own use. Most threads will be OD threads but I will also make thread protectors which of course will be ID threads. I appreciate the brazed carbide tooling suggestion, I had not looked into those and did not know you could stone them back to a nice cutting surface. I will check into that as well.

Am I to assume the carbide is better for internal threading because its much stiffer and can be a narrower tool to fit into tight places but not have the flex that narrow HSS would?

Thanks again

While it is fun buying tools, When I got my lathe I was in the same boat as you are. Your best bet is to just buy tooling as you find a need for it. I have a 13x40 and have never yet needed bits more that 3/8 square, I do mostly small parts, and or light cuts. I do have a bunch of bigger tools that are still new in the box after 15 years. (No I am not getting rid of them or I will need one tomorrow) I ended up with the big tooling from a package deal at a shop closing down.
The basics are a 0-1 micrometer, a 1-2 micrometer, and a 6 inch caliper, get more as you find a need for it. By getting things as required you are more likely to spend a bit more for higher quality and get the things that you really need. Yes in the begining the big brown truck driver will get to know you well.

As mentioned, grinding bits is part of using a lathe, it is not a separate hobby but an intertwined part of using a lathe, just like knowing how to use the measuring tools is a part of it. Sharpening a tool bit is literally just a couple of minutes once you learn how it should look.

Back