Need info before buying a new mill

It is finally here!

I installed the mill on the frame I had prepared earlier and it went pretty well.

Today I prepared the wiring and hooked the machine to power.

Matt switched the original 1ph motor with a 3ph one with a VFD. He had to disconnect the drive for shipping.
I reconnected it easily with the picture he sent me.

The small problem I have now is I can start the motor with the selector switch forward/reverse but I cannot adjust the motor speed with the potentiometer on the control box. If I play with the drive settings I can get to change frequency directly. But I cant seem to use the input from the potentiometer to control frequency.

Is this a drive setting or a wiring error?

Ps.: I will put my pics together and check how to post them soon

Thanks for any input on this.

It is finally here!

I installed the mill on the frame I had prepared earlier and it went pretty well.

Today I prepared the wiring and hooked the machine to power.

Matt switched the original 1ph motor with a 3ph one with a VFD. He had to disconnect the drive for shipping.
I reconnected it easily with the picture he sent me.

The small problem I have now is I can start the motor with the selector switch forward/reverse but I cannot adjust the motor speed with the potentiometer on the control box. If I play with the drive settings I can get to change frequency directly. But I cant seem to use the input from the potentiometer to control frequency.

Is this a drive setting or a wiring error?

Ps.: I will put my pics together and check how to post them soon

Thanks for any input on this.

Without knowing which make and model VFD you have, and being able to see the wiring diagram you're using, it's a little hard to tell.

In order to post pics use the button to the left of the one that looks like a film strip. If you mouse over it, it will say 'insert image'. Click on it and follow the directions.

M

Forgot to give that info sorry..

It is a Hitachi WJ200-001sf

I am checking right now to post some wiring diagrams

Usually, frequency is either from the keypad or external rotary resistor. Most VFD have a setting to take input from the keypad or external control -but not both simultaneously as it's a safety issue. If you use an external control, many VFDs require a 5 or 10k Ohm variable resistor and you need to tell the VFD which type you are using.

I'll look into it tomorrow at lunchtime.

Ray

PS: Congrats and good luck...

So the drive is a Hitachi wj200-001sf

I took pics of some diagrams in the manual Milling 009.jpgMilling 008.jpgMilling 011.jpgMilling 010.jpg
From reading this it seems there might be something wrong with the analog input terminal wiring?

Milling 009.jpg Milling 008.jpg Milling 011.jpg Milling 010.jpg

Problem solved!

This is the original wiring:Drive Wiring.jpg
By opening the machine's control box I got to see that wires 4-5-6 shown in the picture are connected to the potentiometer.
I moved wire 4 to terminal H and wire 5 to terminal 0 so that the potentiometer use the 0-10v reference of the drive. Then I set the drive to use analog input as the frequency source.

Now the machine starts and stops from the selector switch and the motor speed is controlled by the potentiometer that is just on top of the selector switch!

After work tomorrow I will be cleaning the machine and start the tramming!

*edit for some clarification

Drive Wiring.jpg

You are right about the wires being on H, O and L, did I send you the wrong picture? Sorry about that!!!!!!!

You are right about the wires being on H, O and L, did I send you the wrong picture? Sorry about that!!!!!!!

It ended up not being much of a problem.
It took some time but it paid to read the manual carefully. Can't wait to get back in the shop to clean the machine and install the vise. I will have to wait until the kid is asleep though! His mother is out of town for the week and that leaves me with a lot more to do before I can enjoy some home shop time.

Back