Need info before buying a new mill

For small packages, yes, you can do that. A 1000 or 2000lb machine that requires specialized shipping... -different story. Industrial equipment and other "durable goods" must go through customs. When I need to take electronic equipment to Canada, I have to go through the same hassle because it is custom made equipment, not a simple commercial item.

Ray

I have ordered from the US in the past and have had the UPS rip off. If I can I always use the USPS for shipments. You pay the duty but no brokerage fees.
I have recently purchased from Grizzly and DRO PROs and have had great luck with the shipments. No unexpected fees or charges. Just delivered to the door.

PS: Here's a real story for you... Someone ordered a large lathe from him and called EVERY SINGLE DAY for several weeks wanting to know if it's on schedule. Matt processed his machine (it needed after-market add ons), stayed up until 2:00AM working during the last heat wave. He arranged to have the truck pickup the lathe the very next morning. The machine was delivered within 24 hours. Matt called the guy to make sure it arrived safe and sound... The guy said yes but, "I won't have a chance to uncrate it for a week or two"...

I bought a 13X40 lathe from Matt in '07 I think. I preordered it and maintained a watch about the shipping. I think I may have called 3 times in the 2 or 3 months it took to get the machine. The Lathe arrived and within a month I had it assembled and running. As I had to mount the lathe on the included base and had no means to do so it took me a little time to rig and set the machine. I had been paying attention to others and their lathes so I remembered to add silicone to the mounting (the benefit of researching the forums before assembly). I had a little problem learning how to operate the machine but Matt took the time to walk me through everything. Within a month he had a video on his web site showing the operations. I say this to indicate how inexperienced I was and how generous Matt was with his time.

When I started working with the lathe I noticed an odd scraping sound and carefully analyzed the cause. It turns out the fellow who mounted the DRO had afixed the outer aluminum shield of the Y axis in a manner that interfered with the carriage, compound travel. With Matt's guidance I was able to machine a new bracket and mount a replacement shield he sent (eventually he had to let the worker that installed my DRO go after a few more mistakes). The only thing that wasn't resolved in the entire time I've owned the lathe is a GIB screw for the taper attachment that arrived stripped. One day I found the GIB sitting on the ways. Although he ordered the screw rather than cannibalizing one from another lathe it must have never arrived and I never heard back from him even though I think I called once (we're only human so no ill will on my part for this warranty failure . . . just kidding). I tried to replace it with one from another supplier but could not find one that suited me as a replacement. So all in all it was a very good experience for me. The lathe is more than I expected and the cost was more than a fair one.

I am really glad Matt has continued to grow his business. I see he's now a BISON distributor and after checking around I think anyone would have a hard time beating his pricing.

The man is always fair, civil and polite, generous and professional in my experience and knows a whole lot more than you might imagine. One day I mentioned I had just purchased a used mill (BP series 1 varispeed c.1980s) and was trying to find a solvent that would remove the years of caked-on crud. He related a story from his days as a worker and suggested I try 'Citrol'. I listened to his advice . . . . eventually found a distributor and bought a 5 gallon pail. I always make a solution of this to have on hand in the shop!

I am sure your new mill will be more than you expect and if you need support Matt and his staff will work hard to ensure your satisfaction. Have you checked out the CNC flatbed lathes he's offering? Fanuc controls on one and the cost is more than fair for the size.

Psient

Last edited:
I called this morning. Now I am waiting instructions for payment. It seems the PM45 will arrive in late august at their warehouse, so add Matt's time plus shipping process, I guess I will have to sharpen my patience:bitingnails:. I am sure it will be well worth the wait the day I will uncrate it!

I think I will make a mobile low profile support frame for its stand. Something with four wheels and four leveling mount to lock it in its position in the shop. That could keep my mind busy during the wait.

Well it seems I am starting over with the thinking.:think1:

Nicole from PM sent me an email to follow up with the conversation we had earlier. It seems the PM45PDF with variable speed is delayed for 10-12 weeks from the factory.

They offered to take a PM932 instead, and switch the 1ph motor for a 3ph (around 200$ extra) so I can install a VFD to run it at variable speed. This would be a week or so before it could be shipped. So it would be faster, but would it be worth it?

Whats the difference in performance between that VFD setup versus the DC brushless motor?

Or am I better off waiting a few months and get the 45 ?

Any advice ?

The overwhelming majority of equipment is powered with a 3 phase motor. That combination would put you into a pro setup.

The 932 has Power Z and Table feed. -No brainer!

Ray

Well it seems I am starting over with the thinking.:think1:

Nicole from PM sent me an email to follow up with the conversation we had earlier. It seems the PM45PDF with variable speed is delayed for 10-12 weeks from the factory.

They offered to take a PM932 instead, and switch the 1ph motor for a 3ph (around 200$ extra) so I can install a VFD to run it at variable speed. This would be a week or so before it could be shipped. So it would be faster, but would it be worth it?

Whats the difference in performance between that VFD setup versus the DC brushless motor?

Or am I better off waiting a few months and get the 45 ?

Any advice ?

You'd run a normal power line into the VFD and 3 wires to the motor. You'd just cap-off the wires that normally went to the old motor. Then, you'd program the VFD (usually a slight annoyance because the manuals are never written well) and finally, you'd mount the VFD at some convenient place. -Done. The other controls of the machine would be powered in their usual fashion. It would take me about 60-90 minutes.

I do agree though, get the one YOU are comfortable with.

FWIW, I converted all my machines to 3Ph/VFD for many reasons...

Ray

How hard is it to find/install a vfd for that Ac motor?

BTW: When I say a "normal power line into the VFD", that means a 220 volt line which is what would be required in either case.

Ray

Well, it does not seem to be a big deal.( installing VFD) I have taken a closer look at both machine specs and they are very similar. Both machine would suit my needs. (can I even say that in english ?) I just wanted the 45 for the variable speed so now, if I have the option..

I may just take the PM932 with the AC motor and add a VFD. AND get the machine sooner.

Ill try to call tomorrow before I go out for the weekend

Last edited:
Back