Need info on a lathe.

Jim F

Registered
Registered
This is at an Estate sale. Any Idea of value ?
Bed is 60" long, swing is 11".
Bought new is 1976.
It is dirty, but not rusty, has a turret tool post and 3 and 4 jaw chucks.

Attachments

• 20201112_120157.jpg
    20201112_120157.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20201112_120133.jpg
    20201112_120133.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 49
  • 20201112_121317.jpg
    20201112_121317.jpg
    962.5 KB · Views: 51
No good pictures of the lathe. It is really hard to give a value with so little information.

The 11" lathes are worth more than the 10's because the spindle bore is larger. If it's in good shape
that would be a nice lathe. Don't know what prices are like in your area, but $500.00 sounds low to me.
Those lathes were made in USA, not China.

Last edited:
Very difficult to evaluate without detailed pics.
Obvious wear to the front v-way and backlash of the cross-slide screw are basic things to check.
It it checks out, $1200+ seems reasonable, no?
The T suffix on the model number could indicate a hardened bed but I'm speculating. Logan Actuator can offer detailed help: http://www.loganact.com/index.html

Last edited:
This is at an Estate sale. Any Idea of value ?
Bed is 60" long, swing is 11".
Bought new is 1976.
It is dirty, but not rusty, has a turret tool post and 3 and 4 jaw chucks.

This lathe was produced after Logan was purchased by Houdaille Industries in 1968 and production moved to the Powermatic Machine Co (woodworking equipment) in Tennessee ~ 1971. Around the time this lathe was produced is time Logan lathes were branded "Logan-Powermatic". "Most" report the quality is poor, machine dealers at the time stopped carrying them. In the book When the Machine Stopped" by Max Holland, he reported employees from Chicago going to Powermatic and trying to assist production by Powermatic employees who often used a hammer to bring things into alignment. Also reported is that production did get better, and I've seen postings by people with the Powermatic lathes who were happy with them.

Ron

Attachments

• 1605295716921.png
    1605295716921.png
    192 bytes · Views: 29
Those lathes were made in USA, not China.
Yes "but." Not all US made lathes are superior. See my comments on Logan lathes produced after 1971 in Tennessee. I'm the first to admit I tend to think the same thing about US made, but I got interested in Logan history and the end wasn't very good. Frankly I'm amazed what Scott and his father were able to do to after the British conglomerate, Tube Investments Group, did a leveraged buy-out of Houdaille and from what I understand simply closed down the machine-tool group. Logan was able to pick the name back up because it had fallen out of Trademark protection.

Read the book "When the Machine Stopped" by Holland for some insight into what the Houdaille did to American powerhouse Burgmaster in the 80's. Not a pretty picture but a lathe is a lathe is a lathe... A lot of blame to go around in uncertain times but look at what South Bend accomplished by becoming employee-owned and retaining some dignity until they went the same way. Just a name on another piece of crap.

Gonna pass on it.
I have a SB9 and do not have access to 220V at this time.
Here is the listing.

Back