Need Keway Broached

lesrhorer

Registered
Registered
Since no one wants to lend their broaches, and I can't find anyone locally who can handle metric broaching, I wonder if someone out there can broach a timing pulley for me? It needs a 4mm keyway. The hole diameter is 45mm.

Do you own a mill or lathe? if so, there is a fairly simple way to cut that keyway with an HSS tool bit. I'll share more if you are interested.

Do you own a lathe? if so, there is a fairly simple way to cut that keyway with an HSS tool bit. I'll share more if you are interested.
I was just about to suggest what you are about to propose. But you go for it.

Do you own a mill or lathe? if so, there is a fairly simple way to cut that keyway with an HSS tool bit. I'll share more if you are interested.
Not my post, but I'm interested.

Thought sure there was a tutorial on how to do this. My google foo is poor right now, best i found was this

Basically, you got to get creative, somehow grind a piece of HSS to form of the slot, then use the carriage or quill to manually go back and forth as a poor man's slotter. Advance table or cross slide to depth.

There are videos on you tube broaching on a lathe or mill.
Mr Pete, and Kieth Appleton to name a couple.
What machines do you have or access to? What material is pulley?
What does this pulley do? Pics would help too.
Chuck

I'd have to build a tool for it, but I could do it on my shaper depending on the shape/vice-hold-ability of the pulley.

Yep, that's the way I broach. Tightly tape 3 good 32 tpi hacksaw blades together for an 1/8" broach in a pulley then dress it up/tweak it with a small triangle file. For a wider keyway just tape together more hacksaw blades. I've tried never tried to do a timing pulley though. That would complicate things.

Back