Need Low Cost Autocad Replacement

Never heard of WinDoze. I have used a program called Windows for many years with no issues. Currently running Windows 10 with Solidworks and numerous other demanding CPU/GPU programs. Maybe you should try Windows instead of that knock-off program you are running.
I'm sure you know this, WinDoze is merely a perjorative term for Windows, commonly used by folks that are not delighted with Microsoft. Some folks don't care for the racheting upwards of hardware requirements just to run software they used to use.

Our house is multi platform. We only have a single Windows computer, which is rarely used, typically for things that are windows only. Mostly Linux here.

I use FreeCAD for my 3D design work. It's a heck of a learning curve, but it is mostly ok. The interface is not quite as polished as others, however it is functional. I downloaded it from the repository, built it, and started to learn it. Using the videos on YouTube I became somewhat functional.

The price is free. This is good, because I cannot justify paying big bucks for something for casual use. It's not all peaches and cream, but it is a reasonable solution for me.

They (FreeCAD) maintain an active forum and surprisingly have been quite helpful. (Some open source forums can be hostile to new comers.). I needed a huge life size print of a book tree I designed and didn't have access to the correct page size. They showed me how to create the new page size and sent me a template for the page. FreeCAD is multi platform (Windows, Apple and Linux and Arm) and a download away from trying.

@WobblyHand I was yanking Bill's chain. Seems odd that one would go through the trouble of spelling the name of a product wrong. If one is that disgusted with a product, they should probably move on.

I have built all of my PCs since the early 90's. The last one I built has been going on for nearly eight years and has no issues, most likely because I used very robust hardware, especially the video card. I routinely run Solidworks and other demanding programs with no issues.

I have looked at Linux and considered moving over to that, but for now, Windows is doing everything I need to do.

@WobblyHand I was yanking Bill's chain. Seems odd that one would go through the trouble of spelling the name of a product wrong. If one is that disgusted with a product, they should probably move on.

I have built all of my PCs since the early 90's. The last one I built has been going on for nearly eight years and has no issues, most likely because I used very robust hardware, especially the video card. I routinely run Solidworks and other demanding programs with no issues.

I have looked at Linux and considered moving over to that, but for now, Windows is doing everything I need to do.
Thought you might be yanking his chain, but it is kind of hard to get humor over the internet at times.

I also used to build my PC's back in the day. I stopped when it became apparent I could buy one cheaper.

If Windows works for you, then great. For me being IT support at home, I wanted to migrate to something that I could support without paying a lot. And have household systems that didn't have a lot of maintenance. Joined a local Linux user group and learned a lot. As far as I am concerned operating systems are not all that different. After one has dealt with a few of them, they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Back