Need more tool holders

See this post above: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/need-more-tool-holders.96008/page-3#post-895965
And then this post (right below): https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/need-more-tool-holders.96008/post-895969

The issue is the "H" height as illustrated in the Shars diagram. As demonstrated above, the tool tip of the 1/2'' tool in AXA holder will stick out above the center line unless I grind down the tool tips to lower them. It will still work, and I may use some of them - I have about 4 planks I could grind down if I need it. The 3/8'' HSS tools should fit without any fuss and that pleases me because most of my tools I have are in that size anyway.

I just got some 1/2" tool bits in a box of used lathe tooling, I'll load one up and see if I can make it fit without going through a bunch of hoops. Issue with the OXA would be I don't think 1/2" will be fully supported by the holder so you may be in a pickle either way.

I just got some 1/2" tool bits in a box of used lathe tooling, I'll load one up and see if I can make it fit without going through a bunch of hoops. Issue with the OXA would be I don't think 1/2" will be fully supported by the holder so you may be in a pickle either way.
I'm not going with 0XA... I've ordered the AXA Tool holder today - the AXA should work with my 3/8'' tooling - at least all indications are that it will. Time will tell for sure.

My 1/2'' tooling can wait...

I use mostly 1/2 tooling. I don't know why everyone is saying AXA is meant for 3/8.

I believe the idea is that, with the lathe in question, AXA holders put the top of a 1/2” tool above the centerline. So they will require some modification for that application. To me it would still be the better choice.

Edit: oops I guess I didn’t see all the other responses. Sorry.

Alright! Another Coloradan here!, I think that's 4 or 5 of us? I thought when I had 10 tool holders I was good, now I just buy a couple a month as you can never have enough. It makes the QCTP worth it's weight in gold. Not only x amount of tools, but some for facing (pointed out the other direction) Boring bars, same deal, chamfers. Pretty much any tool, it's handy to have it mounted the opposite direction.

What am I missing?
I have AXA toolpost & XL (5/8”) tool holders. 7 of them.
They will work for 3/16” & up tools & boring bars. Just shim up the smaller ones.
I bought the XL (5/8”) size because I have had a 5pc set of 5/8” TT toolholders for yrs. that work good.
This is for my SB9.
This always worked for me, YMMV

^ the XL holder has the dropped tool pocket that would work on OP’s lathe to use 1/2” tools, right?

^ the XL holder has the dropped tool pocket that would work on OP’s lathe to use 1/2” tools, right?
We were using Shars holders as they have dimensions on the website. Their XL holder uses the same bottom lip thickness and less on top, i.e. the pocket moves up. Moving it lower would make more sense, perhaps some other brands do so.

Back