Need parts for a Clausing 8520 mill

Thanks, I had to chuckle at the “ larger machine shops” in Muskogee! We only have maybe one or two left here, and my “ go to” man died on me. I would have no problem shipping the shaft to anyone that is experienced in the straighting process. Might be able to find some one in Tulsa. Thanks,

Bones
Heh heh. I haven't been through Muskogee in I guess about 39 years. :cool:

Sorry, Bones, I am not that familiar with that mill. I have a Millrite. There may well be others here that will respond to your question. Note that although the bad damage is right by the handle, the bend will probably exist over most of the lead screw, and the whole thing will probably need straightening. If the bend it too badly bent where it comes out of the end cap, it may be smart to work at getting everything straight except the badly bent portion, and then cutting that section off and grafting a new end section onto it.
Bob, is a Millrite model MVN any good? There is one fir sale near me. What are they worth? Thanks in advance,

Bones

Bob, is a Millrite model MVN any good? There is one fir sale near me. What are they worth? Thanks in advance,

Bones
I am now on my second Millrite MVN. They are basically reduced size Bridgeport type mills, mine is without the optional power quill down feed. They had many options, at least 5 different collet types, 3 different size tables, drill press type or hand wheel type quill down feed, table power feeds, and many more. They are more rigid than a Clausing 8520 or 8530 and even the biggest import bench models, but less so than a Bridgeport or clone. They weigh about 1400 pounds depending on options. They have v-belt drive spindles with cone pulleys, mine goes from 250 to 3400 rpm in 6 steps, again multiple factory options. Mine has a 220v single phase 3/4 hp motor that is stronger than any asian import 1.5 hp motor. There were options of motors including 3 phase. They are pretty basic machines, no bells and whistles, but are solid, accurate, reliable, and quite well made. If you want to know lots more, look here:
The "files" section has manuals, catalogues, specifications, and lots of other information. Have fun looking, and feel free to ask for more. PM me unless it is something useful to the group at large.

What are they worth?
Like anything, they are worth what you can get for them. Also depends on where it is. I will spare you the killer price I got mine for in previously unused condition...

You also asked if Millrites are any good. In my home shop guy opinion, HELL YES!

Bones

The Millrites are a bit bigger than the Clausings, but still smaller than a Bridgeport, just a guess but probably need to add a foot deeper and wider space for one, and another 6" in height if that is a concern. You will also find them branded under Powermatic who started manufacturing them after Burke was acquired by Houdaille in the late 1960s or early 1970s.

As far as prices I was looking at Millrite as an option until I figured out they were just a tad too tall for my shop. I saw some last year in the $1900-2500 range, when I was looking but location seems to effect prices. Having seen both in person the Millrites are significantly heftier in build than the 8520.

I haven’t seen this machine. He says it runs and works, he’s asking $800? I think I’m going to offer him $500. I didn’t know they weighEd 1400 lbs, though.

Bones

I haven’t seen this machine. He says it runs and works, he’s asking $800? I think I’m going to offer him $500. I didn’t know they weighEd 1400 lbs, though.

Bones
Check it over closely for wear and other problems. Worn out machines are only a shadow of similar ones in decent condition.

Well , she reduced it to $650 on her own! Looks like no one is interested in it. Think I wait, it kinda of a hike to where the machine is, so I’m going to sit in it fir a while.

Bones

I have the Clausing drawing if you need it. I obtained it thinking about replacing the one in my 8511, factory M head, that only has a left side handle. The screw is 11/16" . Most repair accounts I've read replace it with 3/4" as it's available off the shelf. If you are interested I can dig through email for a gentleman I corresponded with in Upstate NY, I think through this forum, with 85xx parts.

Back