Need "pre-purchase" Info Quickly, Please.

I wish I had done this before buying my Atlas 12x36....I would not have purchased it. I've put probably $500 into it and it still doesn't cut any better (more chatter same power) as my HF 7x14 mini lathe.

I was just looking out for a "oh, no way, those suck!" Type of comments.
Hum... wonder whats up with the excessive chatter on your lathe. Have you adjusted the gibbs? Also check the spindle bearings.

You wont get many putdown comments here, it's a friendly site!

I was wondering about the chatter comment too. My 12x24 Atlas had a similar issue a few years ago. But I adjusted all the gibs and that solved the problem. Mine cuts very nicely now.

I'll get photos up for sure...my eagerness got the best of me and I started tearing it down for a thorough cleaning before I took any photos.

First thing I noticed was that is was very dirty, but relatively unused with very little sign of wear. Pulled the spindle out and the bearings wear packed with a thick gummy grease....but once cleaned they appear to be in good condition. When I had him run it before I bought it it ran smooth and very quiet. Bearing date of 1946, two years older than my Atlas.

When I get a chance I'll take some photos and post for sure. It was really dirty but is cleaning up very nicely.

On the chatter....ughhh....I've tightened down the gibs so tight they don't move and the compound still appears to rock, I can see movement...so something's not square. I've read about that issue before. I'll get more info shortly.

I do need to replace at least one bearing, 1606 bearing number (3/8 ID 29/32 OD ) I had to order it online as I couldn't find it lo ally. Anyone know where to buy bearings locally? The auto parts store was unsuccesful.

Pics incoming!

Anyone have a pulley cover for sale? Bummer it didn't have one because I'm guessing it will be impossible to find. I would like it simply for completeness.

Still amazed at how quiet and smooth it runs. The bearings don't appear to have any significant wear but I am going to replace the "cups" with oil seals.

What should I use for lube for the bearings?
Thanks guys for all the info!

Emailed the guy who made them but looks like all were spoken for. Oh well, I'll just keep looking.

An eBay search "Drill Press Belt Guard" shows a bunch of guards that look like they could be easily adapted to fit on that mill. I would put something there before using, Im not a fan of exposed belting.

Emailed the guy who made them but looks like all were spoken for. Oh well, I'll just keep looking.

You could contact this guy and see if he'll mail it to you. I spoke with him a couple months ago. He sold a Benchmaster, but the buyer forgot to take the pulley cover. He ran craigslist ads for several months asking the buyer to contact him, so I guess the guy never responded.
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/5921779564.html

Back