Need quick change levers

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought a rough Craftsman 101-28940 at a farm auction for a great price - $110 - but it had two broken quick change levers that I am looking to replace. I know Sears has them for about $190 each and I know some have been on ebay but none right now. Anyone have any spares or know where I might find some?

Thanks.

You might be in for a long wait- have you considered buying a second lathe and taking the best parts off both, make one great one and sell what's left?
I passed on several Atlas/Craftsmans for just that reason (broken levers and handles)- finally found a good one but it cost a bit
mark

I have thought about it and I am keeping my eyes open for a "deal". Also thought about trying my hand at making my own just for fun. Like I said, Sears has them if I decide to spend the money. Thanks for the input.

What are the handles made from? Is it weldable? Because I have seen some awesome brazing, welding repairs don on things on YouTube. Just asking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are light alloy of some flavor, you could fabricate something that would do the job

If this is an Atlas made lathe with Craftsman badge, likely made from zamak a zinc based alloy. An Atlas alloy which was easier to cast and allowed them to reduce the cost of manufacturing. I do not know if this can be brazed. Zamak melts around 700 deg F so any brazing rod would need to melt lower temperature than the zamak. I do not know much about brazing rods.

If this is an Atlas made lathe with Craftsman badge, likely made from zamak a zinc based alloy. An Atlas alloy which was easier to cast and allowed them to reduce the cost of manufacturing. I do not know if this can be brazed. Zamak melts around 700 deg F so any brazing rod would need to melt lower temperature than the zamak. I do not know much about brazing rods.

I felt that when I asked, i feel for the OP. Perhaps he can figure out how to fix his problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The pieces are most likely missing, otherwise he could epoxy them back together

The pieces were MIA when I bought it at a farm auction. I may just try my hand at making something but I am not in a hurry.

The 10-1586 Change Gear Levers on my 3996 and on the QCGB off of a 101.28910 that I parted out (took two to make one) are both magnetic and machined surfaces show light rust. And appear to have been sand cast and machined. So my assumption is that they are of the same material as the bed, headstock, etc. Which is I think gray cast iron. In any case, they aren't Zamak.

Last edited:
Back