Need recommendations for small portable/luggable 110v air compressor.

MikeInOr

Registered
Registered
The old Speedaire rattle box pooped out on me. It will only pump up to 30 or so psi. I am looking for recommendations for something to replace it.0622202202.jpg

I have a 7.5hp 2 stage and a 5hp single stage 3 cylinder compressors in the shop so I am not looking for a third big compressor. I am looking for something comparable to my old Speedaire for the garage. All it needs to do is pump up tires and shoot some brads, staples and maybe a few nails... no real air tools.

Does anyone have any recommendations? A compressor they like that is somewhat reliable (as reliable as an oilless compressor can be) and maybe not wake every dog within 3 miles for a late night flat?

Not knowing anything about portable compressors this is what my google searching found: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUI...le-Electric-Hot-Dog-Air-Compressor/1001014016

$159
871613009472.jpg

I would like to stay around this price range. I don't want to spend a fortune on a third compressor.

Hey wait a minute. On this forum we fix broken stuff, not buy new. LOL

I have a bostich Trim air model CAP1512-OF. 112 bucks on amazon. Full pressure (150 psi) in 45 seconds from start. I cut off handle and took off feet so it fits under bed of my camper van. Added flexzilla hose and Milton inflation gauge. Have used for everything up to semi tires without issue. Purchased in 2013.

Last edited:
If by chance you are on the Milwaukee M18 platform they just came out with a cordless 2 gallon compressor.

Edit: N/M didn't see your desired price range

I like my little Hitachi but it's hard to beat these little Harbor Freight pancake units for the price.

I've had one for years now and it runs a brad nailer or fills tires just fine.As they say, why pay more?

John

If by chance you are on the Milwaukee M18 platform they just came out with a cordless 2 gallon compressor.
Hmmm ... guess they're making EVERYTHING cordless nowadays! This one doesn't yet seem to be available. But I saw a pre-order price of ~$350.

Hmmm ... guess they're making EVERYTHING cordless nowadays! This one doesn't yet seem to be available. But I saw a pre-order price of ~$350.

Yeah, it's crazy how many cordless tools they make these days & that are actually good. I've pretty much retired all my air tools. I still have them but don't even remember the last time I used one. I never thought I would own a cordless shop vac but I own one now. Not a replacement for my full size shop vac but the portability is very handy. Same goes for the leaf blower, I actually use it for blowing chips into the corner of my garage.

The M18 compressors just started shipping recently. I know Acme Tools & ToolNut has them in stock now. Pretty cool but expensive. If I had a need I'd probably one during a promotion sale or whatever.

I have a Makita MAC2400 ,I am happy with it but would not recommend it if you're planning on moving it around frequently . it's really heavy , maybe because of it's "Big Bore" cast iron pump and heavy duty roll cage but the darn thing is way too heavy to be called portable.

I have a Makita MAC2400 ,I am happy with it but would not recommend it if you're planning on moving it around frequently . it's really heavy , maybe because of it's "Big Bore" cast iron pump and heavy duty roll cage but the darn thing is way too heavy to be called portable.

I have the same one. It's a great compressor, but it is heavy. Fortunately, I only need to move it on rare occasions. Most of the time it sits in my shop. According to Makita's website, it's 77 lbs.

Back