Need recommendations for small portable/luggable 110v air compressor.

I have two portable air compressors. I have a Kobalt that I have had for over ten years. It lives on my boat and is primarily used as a hooka rig for cleaning the bottom of the boat. It has a compartment on the front where I store the 50' hose and regulator. When I got my house I bought a Porter Cable pancake. Used it to power the roofing nailer when I redid the roof. No problem taking it up a ladder and onto the roof. I move it if I have too. But with a 100' hose I seldom have to do that. Both are light weight and easy to carry with one hand.

I sold a Campbell-Hausfield pancake for $30 this weekend at my yard sale . :encourage:

I appreciate all the replies!

I had never heard of California Air Tools before. They seem to have a good reputation. I really appreciate that they list all the REAL hp ratings of their compressors as well as the imaginary peak hp that every other brand lists. It appears that they make most of their smaller compressors with Steel tanks or lighter aluminum tanks.

The 8gal model hman suggested is a bit bigger than I was looking for and won't fit into the nook that my Speedaire currently resides in.

The 1 hp 2 gal 35 lb twin cylinder California Air compressor looks like it is going to be just what I am looking for. HomeDepot currently has it for $170 which seems like a good deal for a well rated compressor with an aluminum tank making it easier to move around on the rare occasions I need to move it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Califor...-Aluminum-Tank-Air-Compressor-2010A/205910463

Although the .6 hp 1 gal 30 lb compressor Janderso suggested does have a lot of appeal at only $95.
https://www.amazon.com/California-A...0934&sprefix=california+air+1+,aps,255&sr=8-1

I don't think I am progressive enough to try a battery powered compressor. A battery powered compressor just doesn't seem right to me.

I think you'll like whichever CAT compressor you buy. I actually have a large (60 or 80 gallon) compressor in a room in back of my shop, and the shop was nicely plumbed for air by the previous owner. But for the last year or so I've not even bothered to turn the big boy on. The CAT has taken care of my needs.

OK, once I start using misters on my mill and lathe and/or start doing plasma cutting, I'll need to crank up the large unit. But for now, I'm happy with the portable.

I have this Makita. It is luggable but not easily. Good unit, but heavy.

Back