Need Sheldon 11.25" change box gears

Wmoore

Registered
Registered
Hello all. This is my first post. I just bought a Sheldon 11.25" lathe. I broke three gears in the change box on the left side. They have no numbers on them. Can anyone help?Does anyone have any Sheldon gears laying around? How can I identify to you what gears I need? Any info will be appreciated. The person I bought the lathe from is from another state. He explained all working components to me,andI thought I could remember everything he told me. I was wrong.
Thank you

Hello all. This is my first post. I just bought a Sheldon 11.25" lathe. I broke three gears in the change box on the left side. They have no numbers on them. Can anyone help?Does anyone have any Sheldon gears laying around? How can I identify to you what gears I need? Any info will be appreciated. The person I bought the lathe from is from another state. He explained all working components to me,andI thought I could remember everything he told me. I was wrong.
Thank you
you might watch eBay they have people parting out Sheldon lathes often http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...box.TRS0&_nkw=sheldon+lathe+gear+box&_sacat=0

Checking again to see if anybody out there has gears for a Sheldon 11". Someone recommended the company in Illinois who bought the rights to Sheldon. I called them and was quoted almost $2000.00 for the three gears I needed. That is more than I paid for the lathe.

Yeah, B & K are very proud of the prices they get for repair parts.

If you have the original gears, here's what I would do. Measure the OD with mics. Take this measurement and divide it into the number of teeth. This should give you the diametrical pitch of the gear. I'm guessing 16 DP for smaller Sheldon lathes. And I believe they are all 20 deg. pressure angle.

Next would be to start looking for stock gears with the number of teeth and diametrical pitch and 20 degree pressure angle. Don't worry about the bore or the thickness. Those will have to modified to fit your lathe.

Last, if any one of these gears were of the fibered material, Micarta, you will either have to make the gear yourself or get some one to make the gear for you.

Ken

BTW- have you tried to post a message over on the Sheldon Lathe group on Yahoo? There may be someone that is willing to help you on making gears for you. These gears rarely come up for sale. Most of the time they are damaged beyond repair. And that reminds me, if there is only one or two teeth missing, I would suggest brazing up the area and cut new gear teeth. Of course, this may be possible if you don't have a mill.

The gears that you have can be repaired, either "correctly" or "field expedient"

Check out Keith Rucker at Vintage Machinery .org on youtube. Keith demostrates how to repair some teeth with his Mill, Dividing Head, and the correct involute gear cutter. If you can get the teeth brazed up you can file them by hand. I am sure you can locate a video showing someone doing that.
If you want to go the purchase new route, Martin Gear and Sprocket, Boston Gear and Rush Gear are ones to look at. Rush Gear has a gear planning program on their webpage where you can select the type of material, including many types of plastic, phenolic and micarta. While I use the gear planning software often, I have never purchased a gear from them.
Many gears are available on Amazon as well as several of the big on-line tooling suppliers ( McMaster Carr, MSC etc)

Lots of good information. Thank you,I will keep checking back to see if anybody else has input. Again,thank you.

No,but I finally tried to weld them in. It is working,but gears don't mess up properly. I don't think they will last.

There's a set on eBay under Sheldon lathes.guy selling is in fairmont nc..he's a good guy..decent price

I looked on eBay and did not find any change box gears for Sheldon 11.5 lathe. Maybe he sold them. I do thank you for alerting me.

Back