Need some 1/2”-28 TPI threaded rod

Jfleisher

Registered
Registered
Hi,

I sold my lathe a while back and have not replaced it yet. I have a need for some 1/2”-28 threaded rod and I’ve had no luck finding a supplier. Does anyone have a link to a source for this? Steel preferred, but brass would also work.

Alternatively, would anyone be willing to thread me a piece about 12” long? I can do PayPal.

thanks,

John Fleisher

Not 1/2-28. I found 1/4-28, and 1/2-20. That ad above is 20 tpi, not 28.

I know you are looking for a 12 inch piece, but does the final use require the full 12 inches? McMaster has 1/2-28 bolts fully threaded in 1.5 inch lengths. That's all I can find. https://www.mcmaster.com/92620a127

I could make you one if you want. Not sure I have any 1/2" steel rod long enough, but if I could get 14" or so of something, I could turn it for you.

Cutting a long thread on a skinny rod is a worthy undertaking. It is tricky, because it is impossible to eliminate the tool push (have to use a follower rest). As Jim pointed out, could you get away with shorter pieces - 2 pieces 6" long will be much easier than one piece 12" long (even that is pushing it - have about 3" or 4" long). What is the final application?

If I was doing this, my thought would be to single point the first several threads, and then use a die to cut the remaining.

I see there are 1/2 by 28 tap and die sets on E-Bay for about $13.00. If I were to make a 12 inch piece, I would
single point it in the lathe and run the die over it for accuracy. My lathes are old but have done this before
when I needed real long threads. And as Chipper said, a follower rest would be needed.

I’ve got a tap and die on order for future use. I can use shorter (2”) pieces for what I have in mind, I just thought it would be easier to get one long piece and cut it myself. The McMaster bolts are a possibility, but almost 9$ each is a deal killer.

Back